Need help identifying year of Blaster...

Rancher

Oct 7, 2012
I could use some help identifying the year of my recently acquired Blaster. VIN numbers have been painted over and can not be found. Numbers on block are 2XJ-008394... Thanks for any help!!

Here are some pictures of the quad in question:

2012-10-079517.52.25.jpg

2012-10-059516.13.14.jpg

that appears to be an 88/89 frame
evidence by the lack of metal heel guard mounts on the angled frame, 88/89's did not yet have those metal "floorboards/heelgaurds"
unless they were cut/ground off during the frame repaint ???

missing this mount circled in red, only 90+ had these...........

6677-90-02-master-mounting-points.jpg

Thanks guys! it was spray painted by some one, found that out after riding all day and finding pants to turn black from the tank. i need to tune it up, but it runs ok for having been pulled out of a dumpster. any idea as to whether it should be crackling when it idols or really quit. it is currently quiet and is a real pooch till it hits the higher rpms and starts crackling to life. Thanks agian... Rancher

Thanks guys! it was spray painted by some one, found that out after riding all day and finding pants to turn black from the tank. i need to tune it up, but it runs ok for having been pulled out of a dumpster. any idea as to whether it should be crackling when it idols or really quit. it is currently quiet and is a real pooch till it hits the higher rpms and starts crackling to life. Thanks agian... Rancher

By crackling you mean sputtering, or popping kind of like when you hit a rev limit?

A short 10 second Vid posted would really help out the diagnosis! If you cant figure out how to post a video, You can send it to me and I can post it for ya!

I mean to say that at lower rpm it sounds like a four stroke but faster. then as the rpms increaseit begins to sound normal and the FMF power core fatty it has on it begins to sound like a normal two stroke where you can hear the cracks and pop as it hit the exahaust stroke. I will get a video uploaded as soon as i can. I still have to get my fuel to oil correct and that might make a difference. also the boot for the air intake is somehow about a quarter inch too far back from the carb and is making a gap between them that i couldnt seem to fix in the twenty minutes i worked on it.

unless you have an extra $200+ for a topend rebuild and possibly the bottom end too, i suggest not riding it again until the above mentioned problems are fixed, figure out the airbox boot, and mix a good 2 stroke oil @ 32:1
thats 4 ounces of oil to every gallon of gas
i prefer maxima super m
and while that carb boot is still off, it would also be financially wise, to check what main jet is in there, should be around a 270 for that pipe...with the airbox boot connected actually sucking air thru the filter, that boot off has to be creating a lean condition = booooooom !!!!!
search for, or click the bottom link in my sig below, for links to all kinds of good stuff, including plug chops and leakdown tests, or your next thread may be....."whats a good piston and who can rebuild this for me ???"

I put the boot back on. running a lot stronger but now having a whole quarter inch of throttle travle where it runs clean. any lower and it boggs. higher, it boggs. i may be taking the carb off entirely and cleaning it out good. also i noticed that it has an air filter from moose racing. is this a clue it might be jetted out? thanks

Will disconecting the TORS improve performance in any way or just avoid any future problems with it shuting down the quad?

Will disconecting the TORS improve performance in any way or just avoid any future problems with it shuting down the quad?

just avoids any future issues. however, you should get a carb cap and remove the electrical box from the top. it's still prone to getting corroded and the cable hanging up.

I put the boot back on. running a lot stronger but now having a whole quarter inch of throttle travle where it runs clean. any lower and it boggs. higher, it boggs. i may be taking the carb off entirely and cleaning it out good. also i noticed that it has an air filter from moose racing. is this a clue it might be jetted out? thanks

YIP for sure remove carb, disassemble clean till spotless, reassemble with correct jetting, set correct float hieght, adjust airscrew 1.5 turns from fully in to start, warm up motor, adjust idle up to keep it running without using the throttle, (don't forget to turn choke off).

Follow this VVVVVV
http://www.blasterforum.com/carburetor-138/adjusting-your-airscrew-pilot-jet-51060/