My new 02 Scrambler 500!!!!!!

yamaha28

Apr 8, 2011
I picked this baby up for $500. Guy bought it for his 12 year old daughter. 8-| He said he took it to a shop and they said he needed a new starter. So he decided that he would buy the starter from them and try to do it himself. He lost track of time and was selling everything. He was selling the trailer it was sitting in when I came to pick it up. I was a little skeptical because there was no way to turn the motor over. The pull start was not catching or spooling back so no help there. I finally said screw it, I will sell it for the same amount of money even with the motor seized, no losses there.

I took it home and replaced the starter. It still seemed locked up, I was scared to death. I finagled the pull starter and got the motor to turn over once! I pulled the recoil starter cover and found that there was mud and water and all sorts of crap in there. He must have submerged the bike and gotten it filled with water. All the gears that the starter was supposed to engage were frozen. I soaked the magnito and gears in gas, then soaked the cover in my part cleaner. Stuck it all back together after a thoro cleaning. Vola! Everything works perfectly! I charged the battery and put everything back together. This project took one day, from noon to 10 at night. I was doing all this without a manual and diagnosing the problems along the way so give me a break for taking so long. :p

I hope to sell this quad for $2000. I know it's not worth quite that much but that's what I am asking for it. I expect to be haggled down to at the lowest $1700. Hey, that's quite a profit margin!

Here is some eye candy and a video. I have more video's if it on my channel, along with snowmobile, and other quads. So stop by and take a look! Cheers

CMP_0023.jpg

CMP_0020.jpg

CMP_0018.jpg

CMP_0024.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
thats cool, i have always wanted one of those.

Btw i subbed you. You should check out a few of my vids and sub me back if you like. Im FoolWheeler. Link to my page in my sig.

It took me 10 hours fairly straight but that's not bad compared to my other projects!

yea its a fun quad. Thanks, I already subbed back too.

nice score and save bro !!!!!

triple your money...eeeehhhh ??????

thanks awk! We will see if I can triple it, I am hoping I can. New seat cover and grips are on the way. Gunna do all I can to get that money! haha

Finally sold it today for $1700! I love broken cheap quads that I can fix. hehe

I can't see how the arm setup is strong enough for those heavy ass quads.

Nice wheel and deal though.

Thanks guys, I don't know either jon. I think they moved up to duel a-arms in the recent years of the sportsman lineup though. I am off to buy another 01 Scrambler 500 tomorrow for $1200, it needs a couple minor things but this one has four wheel drive! I should be able to finagle him down a couple hundred though :D

damn good deal man, good to see the project worked out, I would like it more if it was a 4x4 model, I had a bit older 400 2 stroke 4x4 scrambler, they are sick bikes.

I actually just picked up an 01 scrambler 500 from a guy today! Loved that last one so much I wanted one for myself. This one is four wheel drive and has a few things wrong with it. Picked it up for $1000, pretty good deal.