My Brand Newish Explorer (Pics&Vids)

jlsparky7

Mar 26, 2007
Southeastern, Mi
Couple weeks ago for my birthday my Grandpa gave me his 1996 Ford Explorer XLT AWD 5.0 V8. He got a brand new Lincoln MKX and the dealership only wanted to give him a few hundred bucks for the explorer. Heres some pics and a link to the videos ive been making while working on it.
DSCF0447.jpg

DSCF0448.jpg

86,000 Original miles.
DSCF0449.jpg

5.0 V8
DSCF0446.jpg

The old Willies bumper that will be fabricated on.
Grillz.jpg

Rear lift shackles and front sway bar and sway bar mounts painted.
DSCF0466.jpg

Video Link.
YouTube - jlsparky7's Channel

good motor... IF just IF that truck should ever take a sh*t... pull the heads and intake... there gt40P heads and work great on mustang gt 5.0 bottom ends... them heads with a mild cam and 355-373 gears will put a mustang into the 12s!!

good motor... IF just IF that truck should ever take a sh*t... pull the heads and intake... there gt40P heads and work great on mustang gt 5.0 bottom ends... them heads with a mild cam and 355-373 gears will put a mustang into the 12s!!

Awesome! Ill keep that in mind.

If I were rich id buy torque monster headers for it. But I dont have $600 laying around.

haha i love explorers, i have some shackles just like yours that i made.
are you doing the torsion twist on the front or what?
get some 31's on there to

haha i love explorers, i have some shackles just like yours that i made.
are you doing the torsion twist on the front or what?
get some 31's on there to

You bet. With some bilstein shocks. All 5 of them.

nice get some bigger tires thought it will loo better

Going with 31x10.5x15 Mud Terrains and im painting the stock wheels black.

for free that thing is sweeeeeeeeet!I:I

You wont ever hear any complaints out of me. :)

You bet. With some bilstein shocks. All 5 of them.

Going with 31x10.5x15 Mud Terrains and im painting the stock wheels black.

You wont ever hear any complaints out of me. :)

You and me think very alike.

I got a 1996 for free from my grandpa but mine is the 6cylinder..

And im painting my wheels black and putting 31's on.

There awsome cars.

i just put 31's on mine im gonna be putting the shackles and tt on, shocks are so cheap on ebay, you can get any good brand name shock +2 or +3 etc for like 120 bux i couldnt belive it
ex001.jpg

im debating weather i should take my dads 02 explorer or not. its got like 240k kmhs and recently put alot of money into it. 2 wheel bearings, brakes, starter and a transmision job. awsome car but the transmisions weak. the engine is awsome. no problems at all with it *knock on wood* but the transmisions are weak for sure. its a eddie bauer so its got everything you can put in them but if we were to resell it we wouldnt get much, would we? to many kms. but if i took it, im afraid of the bills to come. he'd probably give it to me because of how much its worth but he wants a car thats better for commuting. he's gota drive 45 mins there and back to work every day and this exploder gets 17 mpg not great, but also not bad for the type of vehicle. in town driving when i had it, it was about 13mpg and dropping lol.

i need a suv or truck for hauler my quad and our other sh*t, were hicks at heart so we still haul sh*t around and need atleast 1 car to do that, so if i kept it he could still use it when he needed too. but id rather a car for ripping, then again, that will just get me nice speeding tickets lol.

Very cool. Gotta love the 5.0s :) Actually those heads will probably be the original GT40s, not the P heads. Either way, they are really good heads, and the intake is pretty much a Cobra GT40 piece as well.

You and me think very alike.

I got a 1996 for free from my grandpa but mine is the 6cylinder..

And im painting my wheels black and putting 31's on.

There awsome cars.

Wish I could fit 33's but I dont wanna dump the money into a lift right away. Plus it has 3.73 gears which with pulling a trailer would be a PITA with 33 inchers.

i just put 31's on mine im gonna be putting the shackles and tt on, shocks are so cheap on ebay, you can get any good brand name shock +2 or +3 etc for like 120 bux i couldnt belive it
ex001.jpg

With the torsion twist and lift shackles I can still use stock length shocks. shockwarehouse.com had/has a deal going buy 3 bilstein shocks get 1 free. They have had the best reviews of all the reviews ive read.

Word heres mine.

bikes170.jpg picture by chrisiscool666 - Photobucket
bikes165.jpg picture by chrisiscool666 - Photobucket
bikes163.jpg picture by chrisiscool666 - Photobucket
bikes169.jpg picture by chrisiscool666 - Photobucket

Only upgrades are a k&n air filter,K&n oil filter and a pioneer deck.

Runs amazing.

Soon to be a flowmaster,31's and paint this summer after a job.

Nice lookin ride. Got any speakers?

Very cool. Gotta love the 5.0s :) Actually those heads will probably be the original GT40s, not the P heads. Either way, they are really good heads, and the intake is pretty much a Cobra GT40 piece as well.

Ive heard this thing makes some power but I will have to wait and see how much. :)

im debating weather i should take my dads 02 explorer or not. its got like 240k kmhs and recently put alot of money into it. 2 wheel bearings, brakes, starter and a transmision job. awsome car but the transmisions weak. the engine is awsome. no problems at all with it *knock on wood* but the transmisions are weak for sure. its a eddie bauer so its got everything you can put in them but if we were to resell it we wouldnt get much, would we? to many kms. but if i took it, im afraid of the bills to come. he'd probably give it to me because of how much its worth but he wants a car thats better for commuting. he's gota drive 45 mins there and back to work every day and this exploder gets 17 mpg not great, but also not bad for the type of vehicle. in town driving when i had it, it was about 13mpg and dropping lol.

i need a suv or truck for hauler my quad and our other sh*t, were hicks at heart so we still haul sh*t around and need atleast 1 car to do that, so if i kept it he could still use it when he needed too. but id rather a car for ripping, then again, that will just get me nice speeding tickets lol.

The trans that comes on the v6 is known for being garbage along with the timing chain tensioners. You would probably be better off getting another vehicle. Im just glad those problems didnt transfer to the 5.0. The only common problem I know if with the 5.0 is leaky exhaust manifolds and grenading idle/tensioner pulleys. No biggy.