Magnetic Drain Plugs- Inputs?

C-H55Blasty

Nov 24, 2014
I've seen a couple options for these guys and I wonder if anyone has inputs on them. First of all a lot of them look like they're too long to fit in a blaster without interfering with the transmission.

The seal on my stock plug needs replaced so I figured I'd look into getting a nicer plug if i'm already going to be spending $5 just to get that seal.

You are correct about the length, and I don't know how much longer it can be. While there may be some iron flakes, most of what I've seen in older engines appears to be aluminum from the clutch. Consider epoxying a small magnet or two to the head of the bolt.
Hopefully others will chime in.

Yes there are issues of them being to long. I don't know what the max length is but I remember a while back a thread where trans probs were happening and after a bit of hair pulling it was realized the drain plug was to long and interfearing. IMO you don't really need one. Oil for the trans is cheap enough and if you change it often you should be good to go.

I do like to have them in my vehicle's though.

Okay that confirms my suspicions. I just figured, if they'd work, it would be a cheap insurance policy. Oil gets changed quite a bit but the condition of the transmission concerns me because its had a hard life since 88! Last time the cases were split the gears looked good for the most part but i'm just worried about the day when one tooth fails and screws everything up!