Jetting help needed..

Worlord321

Nov 21, 2013
I'm very lacking when it comes to jetting, 2 strokes in particular. I just acquired an 05 blaster, it has the airbox lid removed, and the stock exhaust. I believe reeds/top end are all original. Whatever it is jetted for is WITH oil injection, if that matters. I removed it before I even started it. I would like to know what jetting to run with stock exhaust, uni air filter lid removed, and that's about it. I am currently mixing at 32-1, although I do not know what people suggest on the blaster. I never run leaner than 42-1 on any of my machines. So basically, what jetting do I need, and what premix ratio?

I know something is off jetting wise as its weaker than a couple other blasters I've had, very noticeably. Compression is 115 so I believe it's healthy. Although to be fair I think that when I rebuilt my last one the compression was a lot higher than new.

Could also be my needle position, what should it be?

I only paid 700 for it and it's an 05 with basically new tires and it looks great. I think I made a good buy. Previous owner made his own widened A arms, but gave me the originals as well. seems to ride smoother with the widened.

I think everyone on here will tell you that you need to run 32:1 that's what they are built for.

Also everyone on here will tell you to leak test it before you start jetting. You cannot jet right if you have an air leak. There is a member on here that makes and sells leak testers if you don't have one and can't make one.

I don't know much on jetting myself but I think that an aftermarket filter and air box lid removed on stock pipe won't do too much to effect jetting but maybe a size up or 2 from stock would be close. You can always check your jetting with a plug chop.

I highly doubt a decently low hours 05 is going to have an air leak, especially when it runs flawlessly aside from what I think is lower power.

Compression at 115 is getting a little low.

The YFS200 engine is designed to run about a 20:1 oil ratio, but will happily run on 32:1 for recreational riding!

You should be up around #280 -#290 main jet, #32.5 pilot jet and needle in the middle slot.

Ok that is probably what's up. I currently have a 260 main jet. I am at sea level as well. It's 260 main, 32.5 pilot, needle is on the middle. Going to get a few mains to play around with.

aftermarket exhaust will make a big difference.
modified cylinder head will bump up compression alot.
properly tuned carb is good :)
it should be at 120psi stock...so it is losing power at 115psi.
got any pics of it?

image.jpg
Here she is. $700, and the previous owner had prepped it for storage. All it needed to actually run was gas.. Disregard the fugly bars. I'm actually changing them as I post this.. It looks really good IMO.

Reactions: Awk08