Information About Blaster Gearing

H

hankokranko

How do you change your gearing? and are there any negatives?

you can change your gearing three ways, but only two are easy to do. first is by cutting or positioning the gears in the tranny, second is tire selection (size) and third is your counterbalancer shaft (front sprocket) or rear sprocket. If you change your tire height you can increase mph or acceleration, smaller tires will accelerate faster but drop top end and larger diameter tires will do vice-versa. The countershaft sprocket has two 10mm head bolts to remove, by going up on the front sprocket you gain top speed, at the expense of take off; the rear sprocket works the opposite. I hope this helps.

Reactions: 1 person
smaller tires will accelerate faster but drop top end and larger diameter tires will do vice-versa.

That seems backwards to me.

I know all the jacked-up trucks and Jeeps I've ridden in had no top end whatsoever, and they had HUGE tires. I suspect it works the same as the rear sprocket- larger equals more power but less top end, and smaller equals less power and more top end (potential).

smaller tires will accelerate faster but drop top end and larger diameter tires will do vice-versa.

I know all the jacked-up trucks and Jeeps I've ridden in had no top end whatsoever, and they had HUGE tires. I suspect it works the same as the rear sprocket- larger equals more power but less top end, and smaller equals less power and more top end (potential).
if you think about it.. the fourwheeler has less weight to spin and take off.. and if you payed attention in science class you should know what larger tires will do!

also most 4X4 vehicles have tall rear end ratios ( 4.11's as opposed to 3.23's ), which just liking going down on the front sprocket or up on the rear, same concept, tires don't make the system they are just a component...

You are right about the "rear sprocket- larger equals more power but less top end, and smaller equals less power and more top end (potential)."

However, Comparing the tire size as being an equal gearing aspect to the rear sprocket is absolutely incorrect. It is the exact opposite. The trucks you are "riding" in are most likely over geared very low (as stated before) for slow climbing to compensate with their gained tire size. just like if you ran a 22" rear tire......you would have to compensate with a low geared sprocket combo like 13/42 to return to stock performance or "over" gear it low with a 13/44 for quick pickup, and no top end. Hope this helps.