I need advice maby jetting not sure

Bobby804

May 6, 2015
Ok I've got a 99 blaster bought running but needed a topend job so I sent it off bored 1 over new wisceo pro lite piston head shaved .20 lite port and polish raised exaust port 1mm open airbox foam filter boysen power dual stage reeds new ngk plug I think it's a bre8s not for sure if that number is correct tho new dynoport big volume pipe vitos stage two carb kit factory pilot 310 main jet needle clip third notch din from the top .she's idling real low and cutting off kinda sluggish taking off but kits in hard only rode around the yard a few times as I'm not sure why it's doing this don't wanna burn her up .any suggestions I'm in central va

Did you leak test after install ? Heat cycles and re torque? Stock needle or the other one? Is it hesitant on take off then clears up?

Reactions: Bobby804 and MURPH
Yes I used the vito blue needle I did 2 heat cycles and putted o round the yard on the third I'll retorquestions tonight but yes boggs then clears up

Change the needle to the stock needle, I think middle clip.

By chance does it run smoother with choke pulled?

Reactions: Bobby804
I haven't checked how it runs with the choke pulled I will do that when I get off work .thanks for the help guys I've done all the work so far from reading on this sight it a big help

Check the markings on the Vitos needle and compare to stock. Not sure if they are same, but it is a Mikuni needle.
While it might not work for your set-up, worked fine for me. Blue ano is just a cool "sales" technich.

Other than retorque and leakdown, try a little adjustment on the air screw. This is presuming correct float height, and needle in middle clip.

The needle is back in factory one set in the middle I ajusted the idle screw under the seat and now she will idle plus I messed with the mixture screw and I get smoke when it starts smells good .but I still feel like she is bogging somewhat at 1/8 throttle midrange she will scream bit higher rpm is bogging I ran her up in 6th gear and killed it and checked the plug its a greyish dry brown maby a touch lean but no pinging not sure what to try next

O when I installed the boysen reeds I put a light c oh at of 2stroke oil on them you think that could have something to do with it?

I ran her up in 6th gear and killed it and checked the plug its a greyish dry brown maby a touch lean but no pinging not sure what to try next

a proper plug chop to view the smoke ring, not just look at it's overall color..........
http://www.blasterforum.com/threads/how-to-plug-chop.53237/

O when I installed the boysen reeds I put a light c oh at of 2stroke oil on them you think that could have something to do with it?

won't hurt a thing, they get coated in fuel/oil mix the instant you start it

Air leak in the reed gasket plus main jet was way to big dropped to a 290 I'm going to put in a new gasket tonight and give it a shot I was still able to plug chop and the main jet is a nice light brown ring

Yes she pasdefinitely the test so setting my idle now turn the idle screw all the way in turn it back out 2 turns then set my mixture screw at 1.5 turns out and turn it till I get a high idle then readjust my idle to the way I want it?

This is the recommended way to adjust the idle speed, an excerpt taken from the Yamaha service manual.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Reed cage only gets like 7 in/pounds (IIRC) which is why they get warped and leak. King Kong tightens them down "so they don't leak"
Most everyone uses sealer because of this.

Oil won't hurt reeds, they are continually exposed to it.

Pulling the choke is a quick and dirty way to see if rich or lean. On lower throttle pull halfway or less.
If it gets better you are lean.
Actually Blasters don't have a "choke" , it's a fuel enrichment circut.

It was leaking again between the reed cage and the intake boot I put it back together with some red rtv I'm going to let it dry and test again tomorrow