how to convert 55w walmart lights to 20w for the blaster

Devilman910

Dec 20, 2010
29 palms ca
ive been reading a few post and ive seen some peopl on here that want a cheap replacement for the standard blaster head light, the lights i bought from walmart are the platinum burners driving lights which are 55w lights and as we all know the blaster isnt really designed to handle 2 55w headlights so this is how i converted the 55w lights to 20w.....
light0328.jpg

the 20w 12v lights are sold at walmart in the hardware section or a home depot and lowes the ones i used are from walmart this picture is of the ones they sell at home depot
light0322.jpg

pretty simple job im sure anyone can do this, first thing turn the lights over remove the 2 phillips head screws on the back
light0329.jpg

now to remove the light there is one smaller phillips head screw attached to the ground on the light housing the picture is a little blury but once you open up your light you will see it
light0330.jpg

after you remove the light from the housing you will notice that the ground wire is soldered to the piece holding the light and the hot wire is soldered to the light itself, in my pictures i had already remove the part that the ground was soldered to before i took these pictures
light.jpg

in the picture at the top of the light holder where it looks like 3 seperate points you can see where i had already removed the bottom of the light holder where the ground was soldered just cut the ground wire right up against the soldered part then use your wire cutters to cut off the bottom of the light holder where the ground was soldered and then pull the 55w light slowly out of the light holder so you dont cut the insulation on the the metal then cut the power off the light at the edge of the solder,

once you have removed the 55w grab your 20w light and 2 splice connectors for 14guage wire (the red splice connectors) use a razor blade to cut the plastic off of the splice connectors (you have to do this otherwise the light will not fit back into the light holder) once you have removed the plastic from the splice connector use a pair of wire crimpers to crimp the splice connector to one of the points on the light bulb then put a second splice connector on the other point on the light bulb
light0334.jpg

next get a piece of wire about an inch and a half long attach an eyelet connector to one end then for riders that spend alot of time riding at night make sire you use electrical tape that can stand high heat or shrink wrap to insulate the wires then connect the other end to one of the splice connectors on the light bulb (it doesnt matter which splice connector you connect to ground to just as long as it is seperate from the power wire) then do the same thing with the power wire make sure you run the wires through the light holder before you connect them to the light bulb and make sure its not upside down when you do it the same applies if you are using shrink wrap make sure its on the wire before you connect it
light0333.jpg

once you have connected and properly insulated the wired carefully slide the light holder back up and onto the light bulb, you will notice that the bulb doesnt fit into the light holder as tightly as the 55w light did on the light holder you will see 2 small tabs on each side of the light holder my image is kinda blury my camera sucks but you can kinda see the tabs in the picture lightly squeeze the tabs on the front and back together to hold the light inplace DO NOT SQUEEZE TO TIGHT OR APPLY TO MUCH PRESSURE OR THE LIGHT WILL BREAK
tabs.jpg

this is what it should look like once you you have finished and are ready to re install the light in the housing and test it out again sorry for the blury images
light0331.jpg

hope fully this is helpful to anyone who wants to do something like this if anyone has any other questions about any part of this post feel free to pm me or add a post onto here

I used some similar ones from wally world and they just use an mr10 bulb.I just bought 2 20w bulbs and a quick swap and good to go.Just be cautios and secure the glass with silicone or tape cause they will pop off.The ones I bought the rivets actually started to wobble and the lens's popped off.They atleast lasted the busco trip.lol Good write up and will deffinately help out others.

Does anybody know how to throw on hid on the blaster..I know im going to need a battery cause you need a steady current.I also know your going to need a Universal Voltage Regulator/Rectifier (Trail Tech Universal Voltage Regulator/Rectifier | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC) Kind of like this one.Since Im not good with electrical stuff can someone tell me if im on the right track. Does anybody know if the blaster is a one, dual or three phase stator.I know its not three I'm guess one.Oh and does anybody know if the blaster has a AC or DC stator.My bike is in storage. Thanks. maybe this will change your mind about those walmart lights.