how long to warm up?

Jeff Bennett

Oct 26, 2014
This is my first 2 stroke in like 30 years. When I first got my blaster, it was a fresh rebuild and ran great. Now, it seems when I start it, let it warm up a little and take off, it don't want to build the rpms. It is a lot colder now. After a while it gets better but its kinda like a main jet being dirty where the low end is good but top end stutters. Also, it wont idle now. Should I pull off the carb and clean it or could the plug be getting fouled? I have no idea what jets it has. It has full FMF exhaust, .020 bore, full rebuild top and bottom, maybe 6 hours and was heat cycled and retorqued . Timing is advanced 4 degrees. I have the stock key to put the timing back to stock. I want to ride on trails so should I put the timing back to stock? Thanks guys. Also, I think there may be too much oil in it. where should it be on the site glass? Thanks.

Gee, you think main jet is dirty, you're right , clean the carb.
As the weather changes, so must your jetting. The more "built" an engine is, the more critical jetting becomes. One jet size for every 20* change. Note: this is from "perfect" jetting. Have you ever done a plug "chop" or "plug read" ?

As to oil, should be at least halfway up glass, or drain and measure amount. 650ml, says that right on clutch cover.

The timing isnt a issue, if your using the vito's key you really only gained about 1.5-2* if your lucky, the only way to properly advance timing is by
Using the stator plate an turning it.

I warm mine up for maybe five minutes. not just letting it sit and idle but constantly blipping the throttle like shown in Kens videos for heat cycling. Then when I start to ride I don't just hammer on it I drive it nice and easy till the engine is good and warm, then I pound the piss out of it.

Reactions: Tankbuster
The way I do it is to choke it, kick it into life, idle with Choke on for 10 secs.
Push in choke and idle for 10 seconds.
Give the throttle a few blips and let it idle until I check my tyres are all pumped up.
Give the throttle a few more blips and then oil the chain, or check if there is enough lubricant on it.
Blip throttle again, put on helmet , blip, put on gloves, blip, attach tether, blip, goggles/visor, blip, where I am the engine should be warm enough to trundle out to where I am going to ride.

Warm up time is not important, but warm up heat is. The piston a cylinder should be up to operating temp before riding.

Virtually what I do is start it, do my checks and dress whilst warming it up, it takes no more time, you just have to organise the way things are done.

Thanks guys, I had no idea about going up jet size in cold weather. I am going to clean the carb today but I have a feeling I am just not letting it get up to temp. When the pipe feels "warm" I take off and I do blip it while warming up. I just don't let it get "hot". It does get better after a bit too. I don't dog on it though until it runs right. Its probably been around 40 degrees colder here since I bought it and I hadn't rode it much since then. I am going to drain the oil and put new in it. Its over the whole peep hole and I cant tell how far.

The pipe is no indication of engine heat, the cylinder and head should be hot before you ride!

650 ml of oil, no more, no less!

Drain it hot and let it drip for at least 10 minutes.

Reactions: Jeff Bennett