honda engine question

davenichole

Apr 1, 2011
Illinois
I have a spare 1986 200X engine that I pulled the clutch cover off of today to have a look at things. what is the part in front of the clutch with the 3 screws in it?
P03-30-14_19.43.jpg

yep all of those parts are saying oil pump oil pump cap...so there you go one step closer to figuring it out.. they label things in different catagorys on this site so its a pain to find sometimes.

yes, apparently a rotary oil filter? my guess is, it spins and pushes debris in the oil to the edge to accumulate? really I have no idea. like I said, this is just a spare engine that came with my 200X. clutch parts were in a box. someone over tightened clutch spring bolts and snapped them off. was just a little interested in getting it back together and seeing if it runs. was just a little stumped on what that part was.

speedyslyder... no, actually for that part, it says rotor oil filter. it does show a pump but that part is located lower in the engine behind that chain.

QUOTE="speedyslyder, post: 727600, member: 20365"]i known it just looks like it all works toghther somehow i have no clue :) got you thinking though huh? :)[/QUOTE]
It was a secondary centrifugal style oil filter , it was very simple . The oil would flow through it and spin throwing the heavier carbon or dirt pieces to the outer webs. The bad part was you had to remove the covers to clean it.Primary oil filter is the square screen in near the oil drain plug.

Last edited:
that's what I thought, too, rich. seems a rather odd way of going about things, though. usually, Hondas designs are pretty great.