help!!! just rebuilt front end and it will not Idle

dust1014

Apr 28, 2014
Okay so I just rebuilt the front end of my 99 blaster cleaned the carb put a new plug it it and can't get it to idle. To get it to start I have to push the throttle in a little and it will bog just a little then roar to life. I got it to run on lower rpms by adjusting the only screw on the carb but once I let go of the throttle It just shuts down

No it wouldn't idle before either that's why I wasn't too worried until I rebuilt the engine, but I haven't checked the screw on the tors unit how should that be setup?

screw the air fuel ratio screw in all the way,then back it out 1.5 turns...540degrees ,then take seat off push flap out of the way and youll see a large flat headed screw ...turning it to the right will increase idle,turning it to the left will decrease idle..so turn it to the right until it idles after you set airscrew by the line going from the tank to carb at 1.5 turns

So after toying with it for a little bit I thought I had it just perfect when all of a sudden the thing shuts down and won't start at all now! I also noticed that if I revved the engine it would take it awhile to go back down, what happened???

spark plug fouled? free flowing gas gas is turned on? if it was taking to long to idle down the air screw was probably turned up to much your floats in carb might be sticking not letting in enough gas?

i just adjusted the carb correctly only 1.5 turns from completely closed, its a brand new spark plug, and yeah the gas is on i checked it all, could it be the tors unit?

i dont want to complicate things but you do know you should leak test your motor,and break it in properly.read up on these forums lot of good info:)

Did you torque everything to spec? After and even before a rebuild you should do a leakdown test and compression test.. If you don't have a leakdown tester you shouldn't be doing anything to the motor.. ;) You can buy good one here from a member or you can make your own.. It's a must if you plan on doing any engine work.. Even changing the reeds you should leak test..

So after toying with it for a little bit I thought I had it just perfect when all of a sudden the thing shuts down and won't start at all now! I also noticed that if I revved the engine it would take it awhile to go back down, what happened???
Hanging idle points to a maladjusted air screw or an air leak.

A sticky cable can also wreak havoc with idle setting.

Leak test and set the idle.

image.jpg

Thanks Blaaster, i tried that however it did not work. I haven't been able to get it back up and running at all since i made this post it will not run at all. I adjusted the carb right, and attempted the throttle stop screw but it didn't do anything. I did find that after you kick it over a lot the engine will give a small backfire but nothing else

I have cleaned the carb spotless, nothing is wrong with the carb at all and it is set to stock settings, i have a solid blue spark, a good fuel supply, and good compression, after two kicks the pressure reads about 120-140 but it will not start at all. I even put fuel right into the cylinder replaced the spark plug and kicked it and nothing happened.