Help: Advice for jetting options?

BlackBlaster01

Jan 8, 2016
Hello I'm new to this site and I just acquired an 01 blaster recently, before then I had been working on blasters my friends have owned for awhile, but never had one of my own, now I do. I got the quad with seized rings and managed to unseize them and clean up the piston and cylinder and get it running again (base gasket appeared to have blown out causing it to be excessively lean, in turn making the rings seize, replaced the sh*tty green base gasket with a Vito's metallic "blow proof" base gasket)

Got it bone stock (besides for some minor body and chassis mods and tires) but i have some plans to improve it and I need advice what to jet it at. Piston and top end looked to be fairly new and more than likely was bored slightly, piston looked like a Wiseco piston

I live in central NJ where the altitude/elevation is at 259 feet and I do mainly trail riding. I also go out near Altoona, PA for spring break to trail ride at my uncle's where the elevation is around 1319 feet.

I'm going to be setting it up with
-An FMF fatty pipe
-FMF power core silencer
-A CFM aluminum air box
-Uni pod filter
-POSSIBLY a set of vforce3 or vforce 4 reeds or boyesen power reeds (not sure yet)

I will be using my stock carburetor

What range of size jets should I use and should I change my needle clip position? As far as I know the clip is in its factory slot. What float level should I be running and how do I adjust float level?

I've read up on the process of "plug chopping" however I want a broad idea of where to be with my jetting before I start buying handfuls of different jets and hacking up perfectly good NGK's to figure out my jetting.

ANY educated advice would be appreciated, I want to get my jetting right on this thing, already had a massive motor fail on my '86 Honda CR250 from failing to taking initiative to jet it correctly, don't want that to happen again

Last edited:
I'm right near Altoona, about 500'+ up the mountain. All our FMF piped bikes like 290 in the summer and 300 mains in the cooler months. I'd buy 270 thru 320 mains, so you have a range of jets for slight differences in bikes, temps and elevation changes, start large and plug chip down.
20-21.5 mm float height ( tgerez a DIY in the carb section)
middle slot for the needle clip.

Search and read up on leakdown tests too.
PM me if you need one.
All 2 stroke owners should have one. :)

Get some genuine jets in the range of 280-310.

If you pre mix at 32:1 then start the plug chop at 300.

Pilot jet 32.5 and the needle clip in the middle position.

Float level is 20-21.5mm.

http://www.blasterforum.com/threads/float-heights-and-how-to-adjust-them.50565/

At the moment I run about 36:1-40:1 with Amsoil Dominator oil, would there be any difference there? Also would I need to change the pilot jets based upon altitude and other conditions? As you can probably tell I know absolutely nothing about jetting.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm right near Altoona, about 500'+ up the mountain. All our FMF piped bikes like 290 in the summer and 300 mains in the cooler months. I'd buy 270 thru 320 mains, so you have a range of jets for slight differences in bikes, temps and elevation changes, start large and plug chip down.
20-21.5 mm float height ( tgerez a DIY in the carb section)
middle slot for the needle clip.

Search and read up on leakdown tests too.
PM me if you need one.
All 2 stroke owners should have one. :)
What exactly is the leak down tester for? Checking for leaks at seals that would allow for loss of compression?

not loss of compression, but allowing the engine to suck air creating a lean condition.
airleaks are responsible for a very high % of fried 2 strokes

read down to the videos:
http://www.blasterforum.com/threads/about-air-leaks-save-your-engine.55537/
Oh I know for certain the base gasket was the cause because when I pulled the cylinder off the gasket was warped toward the inside of the cylinder as if it had been sucked in, it also would not shape back to it's normal shape to sit on the cylinder right. No worries about it now though cuz I got that metallic gasket

At the moment I run about 36:1-40:1 with Amsoil Dominator oil, would there be any difference there? Also would I need to change the pilot jets based upon altitude and other conditions? As you can probably tell I know absolutely nothing about jetting.
Stick to 32:1 ratio, altering the amount of oil also causes the air fuel ratio to change.

Jet accordingly and plug chop to confirm.

Seldom will you need to change the pilot.

Stick to 32:1 ratio, altering the amount of oil also causes the air fuel ratio to change.

Jet accordingly and plug chop to confirm.

Seldom will you need to change the pilot.
Is 32:1 the optimal pre mixing ratio for all blasters? I've heard that synthetic oils (like amsoil dominator) allow you to run leaner oil mixtures like 40:1, so that's why I went for 40:1 now, my cr250 used to drip out of the back of The silencer and smoke like crazy running 32:1 that's why I changed up

32:1 is the recommended ratio for a Blaster, all jetting info on BF is based on that ratio.

Provided that you jet for 32:1 you should not experience any issue of oil.

Rich jetting causes oil to be spewed out the exhaust pipe.

I am one of the very few that actually run a 25:1 oil ratio to suit the conditions and the style that I ride , I jet to suit that ratio and have no problems with any oil dripping from anywhere.