headlight and tail light.

bob87

Sep 12, 2012
ireland
hi i am new on this and new to blasters. i have just got a 03 blaster but the headlight doesnt work on hi or low. bulb looks fine when i took it out. also my tail light doesnt work when i turn on the lights but it does when i press brake is this only a brake light? if anyone could help or put up a wiring diagram it would be great. thanks for any help you can giveI:I

welcome to BF bro !

the brake light working kind of eliminates the voltage regulator as the problem, as at least one of your lights is working.
i'd say you have one of the 2 filaments bad in the brake light, it is a running and brake light, 2 filaments in one bulb.
can you use an ohmeter to check the headlight bulb for continuity of the filaments in the bulb ?
sometimes they can "look" good, but actually be burnt,
or get it running and check for voltage at the socket of the headlight ???

thanks ill try check that tomorrow. the brake bulb that is in it is only a single filiment. and there is only 1 connection on the holder? do you just put in a double filiment bulb?

thanks ill try check that tomorrow. the brake bulb that is in it is only a single filiment. and there is only 1 connection on the holder? do you just put in a double filiment bulb?

hmmm, thats odd, most lights that are dual running and brake, are a dual filament bulb with 2 terminals and the outer case as the ground

just checked continuity of the bulb and it is fine. i also checked continuity between the yellow wire and earth, and the green wire and earth when i had it switched on hi or low and it was fine. would this indicate the voltage reg? my brake light is working fine doe.

I think someone may have installed a 2001 or older tail light on your 2003. Both will mount up fine, but the 2001 and older tail light only has two wires and was only used as a running light. I'm guessing they pluged it into the brake light feed. Check for A/C voltage to the Yellow-Red wire that feeds your light switch. Near the head light check for A/C voltage on YELLOW for High beam. Green for Low beam. Also check for ground between the black wire on the head light and the frame.

thanks 79xs ill try that today. mite try make up my own bulb holder for the rear cos i see that the blue wire has been cut for the riding light

found the problem. the switch is faulty. so my look for new one now and i am goin to wire in my rear lamp later