Fresh Top End noise!

ahlers77

Jul 27, 2010
Franklin,KY
I replaced the top end on my blaster 4-5 days ago & have been breaking it in. For the first hour or so of the break in process the spark plug was a dark gray & thought i was running it lean so i dropped the clip to richen it up for the remainder of the break in & now the plug is black & just barely wet but its been running great! Today i noticed that the top end has started making a noise when before i couldnt hear any kind of engine noise at all! All the bolts are tight & i have retorqued everything already so Im wondering if i need to tear it back down? The crank bearings seemed fine & the rod play was fine...i had checked all that prior to replacing the top end. Its my first blaster & ive read they make noise but im still kinda worried since it wasnt making any noise & it is now...its not loud & i can only hear it at an idle...almost sounds like valve noise to me if it had valves! Any insight would be appreciated!

piston slap maybe.....did you have it bored and get the correct size piston/rings and all that???

Let it warm up for at least 5 minutes so the cylinder will expand also, this is the problem I had also and I just thought the noise was normal, it ran for another two months, but then the piston skirt broke cause I didn't do the proper breakin or have the jetting right. I could kick myself! My piston had score marks on four sides classic siezing.

i have the same problem wat gas are urunning through it u wanna use 91 octane cause i was told it is a spark knock u might also wanna do a compression check and a leakdown test cause u could have an air leak somewhere but i just had my topend rebuilt and its doin the same thing

i have the same problem wat gas are urunning through it u wanna use 91 octane cause i was told it is a spark knock u might also wanna do a compression check and a leakdown test cause u could have an air leak somewhere but i just had my topend rebuilt and its doin the same thing

Good point, I did do that and was getting good compression as well as no airleaks I use 93 octane always.

i was told it was a spark knock but i have good compression too but i have yet to do the leakdown test....do u have thee right size piston

uhhh ok i was trying to fing a good clip of a blaster engine running so you could hear it but i found this one and had to post it lol. the guy in the vid seems a bit clueless but you can hear the motor pretty good.

Last edited by a moderator:
The cylinder was bored by a machine shop in Tennessee that specializes in ATVs, from what ive read they are pretty good & do alot of top ends every year so they matched the the piston rings & cylinder up. Far as gas im running 93 octane with Klotz R50 @ 32:1 premix. Ive been letting it warm up atleast 30 seconds before i ride & i did like 5 5 minute heat cycles before i ever started riding for 15 minutes at a time then doing complete cool downs...furthest ive been is 3/4 throttle! As for the airleak would that make it the top end have a noise because the stator side crank seal is bad & im waiting on them to get here!

it all depends i was told my top end was making a noise because of a spark knock if ur top end is doing the same u might want to look into that just to be on the safe side because if that is wats wrong with ur top end that can be very bad because it blows little holes in ur head and piston which create hot spots and will eventually melt the top of ur piston

Im still tryin to watch the vid noober, i live out in BFE where there is no high speed so i have dial up because i refuse to pay $80 a month for 1mb satellite internet lol but t&tracing are you from Bowling Green?

OK Noober finally got to see the whole video & thats pretty much exactly what mine is sounding like...anything to worry about or is that normal? I live in Franklin t&t, just moved here from Illinois 3 months ago.

yea actually there is, just found a place today about 3 miles from my house next to a creek that has a bunch of timber & hills to ride where people have been going for awhile from the looks of all the trails! Hey t&t did you check the video out noober posted...does yours sound like that?

im gonna try to add a video of mine tommrow but mine is not as loud for some reason mine sounds like a 4stroke/2stroke lol but i have a lrd rfx pipe with a moto fast banshee scilencer it sounds really good though but wat do you have done to ur blaster

OK Noober finally got to see the whole video & thats pretty much exactly what mine is sounding like...anything to worry about or is that normal? I live in Franklin t&t, just moved here from Illinois 3 months ago.

yeah sounds like you have classic aircooled single cylinder motor racket lol they do sound like sh*t dont they haha

Well its not getting any worse & i rode it all day pretty much but yea its crazy how it didnt sound that way for the first few days after the rebuild...guess shes gettin broke in. Thanks noober, im not gonna lose anymore sleep over it lol