flywheel nut loosed possible stator damage d/k??

jspunky83

Jan 7, 2013
Ok have a 02 blaster bored40 over stock exhaust next size up from stock jet (d/k size just is what the guy that bored it gave me), been a year since bored everything has been great bib dif since bored.. Ok the problem is Parked bike at my sisters for a month and went to pick it up and parts were missing; carb intake box spark plug both plastic covers on both side of casing (not the casing itself but fly wheel cover and oil pump cover) gas cap... Was pissed, ordered me a carb off ebay that came off a 03 stock that came in today. C
leanedand installed it,new plug and new 32:1 gas started up no problem, bogged though;didnt run like the last carb i had the jet on the carb I just installed i think was 260 not 100 percent sure have to double check. air screw was set at 2 turns. Ok now here is the problem ran it for bout five min. and the nut to the flywheel backed off and flywheel wabled (d/k if someone tamper with it never had that problem before) kinda sounded like gears grinding i bit , cut off as soon as i heard it , was just putting along in first gear not wide open so didnt think no damage was done. pulled flywheel off with just my hands cause was able to tedder tot it,looked at stator (just glanced) put flywheel back on (maynot have put it on exactly how it came off but put on and snugged bolt up.. Now wont start only backfires, so my question is about the stator and what size jets for my cab, recap new plug good gas still has spark on plugs (pulled and checked) but wont start just bakfire started before flywheel wobbled

Last edited:
Did you replace the woodruff key which locates the flywheel?

When a flywheel has spun it usually requires it to be lapped to the shaft to make the tapers clean to allow an interference fit which locks the flywheel on.

No amount of tightening the nut on a spun taper will lock the flywheel on.

you may be missing the woodruff key. It slides in a groove on the crank shaft then the flywheel has a groove that slips over it. Back firing is a sure sign of the timing being off. and the key is what sets your timing.