Few basic performance questions

Fj40z

May 2, 2015
I bought a Toomey pipe on her a couple weeks ago and am now waiting for my exhaust flange and silencer. I plan on adding a Uni filter and the air box vents from toomey as well adjusting the jetting. Is there anything else I should plan on doing? Also I have a Mikuni carb that came off my old RT180. Would that be something I should look into putting on the blaster? Right now the blaster is all stock and running TORS and factory oil injection. Thanks in advance

I would keep to the stock carb and eliminate the TORS. Look into getting a eliminator kit. We're you able to weld the pipe? I run the stock carb and love the performance of the Toomey.

My brother in law has it at his shop now. He said it won't be a problem at all to weld. I told him not to rush since I'm having to wait on the flange. I will keep the stock carb then, should I get the vents for the air box or just take the lid off?

My brother in law has it at his shop now. He said it won't be a problem at all to weld. I told him not to rush since I'm having to wait on the flange. I will keep the stock carb then, should I get the vents for the air box or just take the lid off?
I would take it off unless you ride in a lot of water. I would start larger with the plug chops than a 310 if you do. I know Toomey calls for a 310 but that's with those vents. With the lid off you will have a lot more air flow. I'm running a 330, but Im starting with a 350 main to chop. Play it safe.

Like stated,,,,,, start big on the main and work down.. Also stick with the stock carb, The other "may" work but it will be a process to get the jetting correct.

Delete the TORS but keep the injection, IMO..

I would keep to the stock carb and eliminate the TORS. Look into getting a eliminator kit. We're you able to weld the pipe? I run the stock carb and love the performance of the Toomey.
Forgive me im new to the blaster scene but whats is tors?

Well on a side note....for the past few weeks I've been having occasional problems starting the blaster. Some days it started on the first kick others I could not get it started. Kicked on it till I was blue in the face yesterday with no luck. I was so aggravated I took it to a shop this evening and all it was the vent line from the gas tank was pinched off causing it to vapor lock. Talk about filling like a dummy.

Reactions: Ashman46
Well on a side note....for the past few weeks I've been having occasional problems starting the blaster. Some days it started on the first kick others I could not get it started. Kicked on it till I was blue in the face yesterday with no luck. I was so aggravated I took it to a shop this evening and all it was the vent line from the gas tank was pinched off causing it to vapor lock. Talk about filling like a dummy.

yup thats why i keep telling people to loosen there gas caps to see if it is ventilating properly lol:)
when they are diagnosing stuff.

This was at least the third time I spent some serious time diagnosing and kicking my guts out

And how much did this cost you?

My brother in law called me today and said he had the pipe welded. For those that don't know it's a toomey pipe that had a seem that didn't get welded all the way that I bought a few weeks ago. Any suggestions on what to do to keep the fresh weld from rusting? The pipe is chromed except where the new weld is.

Reactions: Fast6hand
My brother in law called me today and said he had the pipe welded. For those that don't know it's a toomey pipe that had a seem that didn't get welded all the way that I bought a few weeks ago. Any suggestions on what to do to keep the fresh weld from rusting? The pipe is chromed except where the new weld is.
Lube it up with WD40 every so often. I have the bare metal finish, and I soak it. Looks good so far.