engine seize??

blasterdude88

Jul 2, 2012
hi! (this is a long read, im sorry) i have an older yamaha blaster. it is around 1988 to 1990, i think. the frame was white but a previous owner painted it black. anyways, i bought it and they said it needed a carb. this being my first quad, i knew nothing about it. they couldnt start it, so they took off 50 bucks. i got i home and had a friend look at it. he said to buy a rebuilt one. i did. it still wouldnt start, so we ended up buying a freshly rebuilt motor off craigslist. it ran great then it started running by itself. we adjusted the idler screw and it worked great. then the chain adjuster screws in the back were shot, and the chain tore a small hole in the motor. we JB Welded over the hole and put new screws in the back. we tightened the chain. (we have now spanned over 10 months). we are at current time now. i was driving it through my field, i was in 3rd gear, and hit a small ramp. just before i landed, it made a pfff sound, then slowed, made a weird noise, and stopped. i tried rolling it back to the pole barn. it was extremely hard to get into neutral, for some reason. i got it back and the engine was very very hot. i let it sit to cool down and tried it later. it wouldnt start. i figured, whatever. ill deal with it tomorrow. i went out today, and the kick start pedal thing wont budge past the spot where it engages to start it up. i put all my weight into it and still no movement. so, is my fresh, 2-3 hour driven, rebuilt motor seized?? if not, what is wrong with it?!?!?! im selling it once i fix this. thank you sooo much for your help!

Make sure the chain didnt jump off the front sprocket and wrap behind it, this happened to me making it seem asif its seized... If not yup sounds seized proabably due to an air leak.. maybe air got through where you JB welded it? leak tester will tell you.. (6Months into blasters and i still havnt got a leak tester but wish i had one every time i get a fault :p )

Sounds just like yet another JB weld fatality.

Air leak band aid, causing a lean mix, detonation, overheating, resulting in piston siezure.

Or the carb was not jetted correctly for your mods.

Tell us your mods, and your main jet, and we may be able to comment.

i dont have any mods to it, its all stock. except for changing the motor, like previously said, if that even counts. i went out and looked at it and took the cover off, and it looks like theres a very small part where the JB Weld came apart from the motor :( so my engine is seized up? is there any way to fix this??

i dont have any mods to it, its all stock. except for changing the motor, like previously said, if that even counts. i went out and looked at it and took the cover off, and it looks like theres a very small part where the JB Weld came apart from the motor :( so my engine is seized up? is there any way to fix this??

Rebuild time...

If the band aid JB has leaked then the prognosis is not good.

It may have caused the motor to draw in air, creating a lean mixture, which in turn has fried the piston.

You will possibly need a new piston, and if the bore is not scored, may only need a hone.

Usually both the piston and the bore are damaged, which will need an oversize piston and a cylinder bore to suit.

You also need to have the hole in the case repaired by a reputable welder, because you will now realise that JB weld is not suitable for repairing casings!

The cheaper option may be to get a running replacement motor, from one of the guys on the forum.

Hold on, if the JB weld did fail then all you will get is leaking tranny/crankcase oil, no air leak, unless the clutch seal is bad or there is a hole in the crank area. think about it guys...

A leak test will tell you all. If it's tight all you lost was tranny fluid , possibly spun a bearing in the tranny> burned the clutches up??

A solid kicker sounds like to me maybe the kicker gear wasn't properly installed and the spring tab is jamming up the kicker.

Pull the clutch side cover off , after draining the oil out, take a pic of what it looks like inside, and post it!

Also perform a leak test on the motor and that will tell ya possibly smoked the top end!

we ended up buying a freshly rebuilt motor off craigslist. it ran great then it started running by itself. we adjusted the idler screw and it worked great. then the chain adjuster screws in the back were shot, and the chain tore a small hole in the motor. we JB Welded over the hole and put new screws in the back. we tightened the chain. !

Maybee I jumped the gun a little, but from the explanations and the very hot motor, It had already showed symptoms of a lean mix.

I assumed that a hole had been worn in the crank case, making the problem worse..

If you pull of the exhaust pipe and look up the port, you will see damage to the piston if it has siezed.

In any case the motor should be pulled apart and the hole in the motor welded up.