Eliminate kill switch, just use key

tbrooks

Sep 24, 2013
NC mtns
Ok so I'm eliminating my lights and kill switch and was gonna make the key my kill switch. My blaster didn't come with a key switch though so I had a few questions. Are the key and kill switch just double redundancy basically that's how it seems, and I would need to get a switch that is closed (continuity) in the off position, I believe the stock is open in off, is this correct?

yes, both switches wire between a black and black/white stripe, connecting them kills the ignition.
so the switch will be normally closed (make contact) in the off position,
the switch is open when in the run positon (open contacts)

i prefer a killswitch on the bars in case of emergency, it's easier and quicker to hit.
you can use a universal killswitch like on bikes, or a tether killswitch
but a keyswitch will work too

A tether is a good investment. Nothing wrong with having cheap insurance if you fall off the bike.

I used a key from a 250ex. Connects the kill wires in the off position, and puts power to the lights in the on position. (I only needed that because i have a battery) but try just unpluging the kill for the time being. If you find yourself reaching for it in an emergency, hook it back up and leave it alone. Better to have and not need than to need and not have