DNR does not check 2-stroke decibles

ford_guy

Feb 7, 2016
I have been told that they do not check 2 stroke decibels because the frequencies are not the same as 4-stroke so they don't matter that much. I personally think this is bs. My plan of action would be to put a spark arrestor and packing into the stock silencer. Thoughts?
In Michigan!

Yes they do check, especially at Silver Lake. Mostly for spark arrestors, don't want to catch the sand on fire, lol. Sound volume/decibel has nothing to do with the pitch.
Stock silencer is already spark arrested, has a little packing.

Cool! I guess my silencer has no packing or a spark arrestor because the previous owner popped off the rivet plate with the nozzle and he went ahead and added a super trap for some ungodly reason. You don't believe I would get decibel checked as 2s? I'm hitting the trails up by Houghton lake. I haven't really ever had to deal with them out there but I do go off season usually. This is the first summer I'm doing prolonged riding. I did go for tip-up town, never ran into them but maybe I got lucky. Thanksagain!

Don't know what you have to work with, thought those S-trapp things were S-arrested. Is it inside stock silencer?
I've used stainless drain screens in the end of the can. Seems as long as the DNRs stick only goes in a little ways they're happy.

its actually bolted on onto the lid of the silencer over the hole for exhaust. It actually was very silly. after I bought it it didnt make it half the day before the bolts vibrated loose. Luckily a buddy was behind me to pick up the thing. So the cylindrical piece inside silencer is spark arrested? Ill get some pictures in a day or so.

If you take it apart there is a cone with small end facing forward. This throws hot carbon bits to outside, the gasses re-enter pipe back of cone. Actually a technical name for that type, but can't remember it.

Does this help. Basically looks like this. The red circle has been cut off but has the silencer has threads to bolt it back up. Theres no packing or screen inside this thing.

Attachments

• crude blaster exhaust.png
    crude blaster exhaust.png
    3.3 KB · Views: 259
"Sound Emission Regulations
Excessive noise is a common complaint made against ORV users.

All ORVs must have, in good working condition and in constant use, a muffler that will meet or exceed all sound emission standards set by state law.

Exhaust noise must not exceed 99 dB(A)—or 94 dB(A) on vehicles manufactured after January 1, 1986—when tested according to the provisions of the SAE J1287 test. (Refer to the manufacturer's documentation.)

Users should replace all worn or damaged exhaust systems with a quality muffler.

Motocross motorcycles are designed for closed course competition and not for recreational riding. These vehicles must be modified before being operated on public trails, routes, or land."
poop. How loud do you think a toomey expansion pipe with stock silencer is?

The thing about 2-stroke vs. 4-stroke sound is how well it travels.

a 4-stroke can be half as loud sitting at idle but the sound can carry for miles.

In MN we rode our blasters all the time.
Once we had some friends over with 4 strokes and our friends across the river (about 2 miles as crow flies) could hear them running

Well what you could do is get a stainless steel drain screen from Meijers, Wally World, or dollar store and fasten it inside of can. If there is enough pipe clamp it go pipe, or weld a piece to end cap. Attaching with screws from inside might raise a red flag with the popo. As to sound, I don't recall if stock even uses packing.
Might Google images of inside of stock silencer. I know they're most concerned about spark arrestors. Guess you'd have to decide if you think it's loud and go from there.

DNR and the cops must be real hardasses where you guys are. I've been reading this and it looks like a real PITA to keep your quad exhausts to regulation. I have to say, out where I live, I have run into more DNR and police than I can count on two hands and two feet and never once has one ever tried to do a sound check or spark arrestor check on my stuff no matter if I'm riding on backroads or in the trails of a state park. All they have ever checked is if I have my stickers to ride in parks. Now I'm worried that after all this time, they are going to start checking and I know mine doesn't have a spark arrestor and I'm sure its probably a little too loud.

Actually other than Silver Lake dunes I've not heard or had any issues. Of all my riding in N Mich have only talked to a U.S. Forest Ranger once and never a stage DNR.

Really not as bad as this thread sounds LOL

So you think wally world screen is enough? or does it have to be a verified spark arrestor like the 20 dollar one from a company like procircuit?

So you think wally world screen is enough? or does it have to be a verified spark arrestor like the 20 dollar one from a company like procircuit?

I honestly dont think its going to matter either way. As long as there is something there that takes the place of a SA, you will be ok. I really doubt that any law enforcement is going to stand there with a manual and magnafine glass like: "EHHHHH YA SEE (old cop voice) this here metal you have placed here is .00003mm thinner than the required metal. and for that, your going to jail see!!!!!" Really think you are blowing it way out proportion. Put on the walmart screen. make it look good and you will be fine

Reactions: ford_guy
Thoughts on sound reduction? Try to jam packing into the around the place where the two cones meet. Counter arguement?

Well good news is the stock can has forestry approval number. If you think about it, ALL stock silencer have the same look. As long as it's not obnoxiously loud, they won't look twice.
Drain screen is only slightly larger than spark arrestor screen. Even if they could look in it would be hard to tell unless the two were side by side.
Any paçking has to be supported so it can't plug flow. If you havè enough tub3 left you could wrap with packing, insulation, or stainless steel pot scrubbers, which I have used on several applications.

Last edited:
Reactions: ford_guy
Awesome! I think its a plan!! Install kitchen sink drain and then wrap innards in packing and seal her up. Forestry sticker is a bonus. Its so rusty you can barely see it haha! Im gonna make sure to post before and after videos! Ill get on that Saturday evening! Thanks for all the advice! I hope this helps other people with this dilemma!