DIY How To Remove Wheel Bearings and Carrier Bearings

Blasterr

Jul 14, 2012
Okay this is going to be a step by step on how to remove the wheel bearings and carrier bearings. Its not as easy as you probably think. This is going to be a DIY without a bearing puller and not damaging your hubs, like mine are. My hubs are chipped slightly because I tried many different ways but lets get started. OKAY FIRST OFF, NOBODY COMMENT UNTIL I AM COMPLETELY DONE AND I WILL SAY I AM DONE! Okay here is the first pic that is the front side of the front hub with the bearings and pivot removed. In the second pic it is the back view of the hub with the bearings and picvot removed. In the third pic it is the pivot that goes in to the middle of the bearings in the hub. In the fourth pic that is the pivot inside the hub. As you can see the pivot has a smaller end and a bigger end. The smaller end goes on the side with the smaller bearing.

Attachments

• hubs1.jpg
    hubs1.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 251
  • hubs2.jpg
    hubs2.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 267
  • hubs3.jpg
    hubs3.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 203
  • hubs4.jpg
    hubs4.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 245
Okay now in all of these pics i have my bearings just sitting in because i cant press them in and I already took the old ones out so just think they are in. In the first picture that is a 13mm socket. What you want to do is find a socket that will fit in the pivot but not fall out the other side. The second pic is jus the socket down in the pivot. Now, if the pivot was was in the hub along with the two bearings the socket will still fit down in it. In the thirs pic it is just a screw driver that has a little socket on the end. Thats the piece youll hit to get the old bearings out. In the fourth pic that is just the whole view of it but the bearing will actually be pressed in

Attachments

• hubs19.jpg
    hubs19.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 263
  • hubs5.jpg
    hubs5.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 216
  • hubs17.jpg
    hubs17.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 214
  • hubs15.jpg
    hubs15.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 199
Okay this first pic is the hub with the bigger bearing in it. Your bearing will be pressed in. On the other side the bearing should be out along with the pivot. In the second pic that is a bicycle seat post. I took the post and put in on the wheel bearing and hit it with a hammer, like it shows in the third pic. I never used a vice and got it done by myseld. So in conclusion heres what I did. Took a 13mm socket and put it down in the hub and into the pivot. I then took a screwdriver that had a socket attached to it. You could use a wrech or anything that serves as a drive. I then hit the driver with the hammer until the smaller bearing came out. It takes a little bit but itll come. Then I took the seat post and hit it on the bigger bearing until it came out, and thats it for the Front hubs!

Attachments

• hubs6.jpg
    hubs6.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 209
  • hubs13.jpg
    hubs13.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 225
  • hubs7.jpg
    hubs7.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 238
Okay now on the carrier. This is easier because the carrier and the pivot have a little room between them. Okay here in the first pic is the carreir with the bearings and the big pivot in it. My bearings arent pressed in but yours should be. Okay in the second pic it is the pivot that goes in the inside of the carrier. This does not get smaller so you cant use the socket trick. Here in the third pic Thats just he pivot inside the carrier. Okay now for the how to part. In the fourth pic a took the seat post and put it on the bearing. You have to move the pivot over a little bit to clip it on it. I then hit it with the hammer. Do a couple hits on one side and then do a couple more on the other. It should eventually pop out along with the pivot then do the same thing to the other bearing and thats it. LET THE COMMENTS BEGAN!!

Attachments

• hubs22.jpg
    hubs22.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 259
  • hubs12.jpg
    hubs12.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 240
  • hubs8.jpg
    hubs8.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 231
  • hubs10.jpg
    hubs10.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 237
Nice write up! Only suggestion I can make is try to make your posts step by step kinda instructions. It makes it easier to read then a wall of text with four pictures. Like put a few sentences, then a picture, then a few more sentences, then another picture, etc etc etc. Just my thoughts. Great pictures and write up though! Have some greens!

Thanks ! I wanted to do step by step but don't use any program to do so . I just use the blasterforum manager thing