Coil differences throughout the years

ThatGuy01

May 1, 2014
St. Louis
Googled it and didn't find much. It seems eBay and other sites selling coils like to create breaks in the years that they will match. Were there differences in coils between 97-98?

This doesn't make any sense. If you look up the OEM part numbers, its
88-96
98-06
Here's all I know, from my experience, 88 is different than 05. 88 has a bullet connector on the end of a wire. 05 has a spade terminal built right into the coil. I seem to remember that the primary resistance value is different between them. It would make sense that the 88-02 would be different than 03-06 because of the electrical differences, but Yamaha shows 98-06 all the same. Strange.

Last edited:
There is no coil ohm difference throughout the years 88-06. Only difference was some coils used a female spade connector for the + side and some used a female bullet style connector.

There is no coil ohm difference throughout the years 88-06. Only difference was some coils used a female spade connector for the + side and some used a female bullet style connector.

This is incorrect. I checked mine. My 88 measures 1.7 ohms. My 05 measures .2 ohms. I looked in the Yamaha factory service manual and they list spec at 1.44-1.76 ohms. In the 03-06 Yamaha supplement they list spec at .18-.28 ohms.

This is incorrect. I checked mine. My 88 measures 1.7 ohms. My 05 measures .2 ohms. I looked in the Yamaha factory service manual and they list spec at 1.44-1.76 ohms. In the 03-06 Yamaha supplement they list spec at .18-.28 ohms.
Go look at any year 88-06 generator/stator on oem microfiche site and you will clearly see the charge coil is all the same part number from 88-06. If the stator's charge coil doesn't change the ignition coil doesn't change.

Reactions: motoman159
Go look at any year 88-06 generator/stator on oem microfiche site and you will clearly see the charge coil is all the same part number from 88-06. If the stator's charge coil doesn't change the ignition coil doesn't change.

Well, that's some jacked up logic. Have you dissected both styles of CDI boxes and analyzed the circuitry? If not, you don't know what kind of internal resistances are built into the CDI. Your logic is like saying that you put gas in a Yugo and you put gas in a Corvette and both cars will take you down the freeway. Therefore, a Yugo and a Corvette are the same. I guarantee that if you take a CDI circuit that is expecting to send voltage to a 1.7 ohm load, and substitute a .2 ohm load, all the smoke is going to escape from the CDI.

Bluesman, you mentioned a difference in resistance values for the primary coil, is there a difference between the resistance values in the secondary coil?

Yes, 5.28-7.92K ohms for the early coil. 6.32-9.49K ohms for the 03-06. (Measured with the plug cap removed) but what year the changeover actually occurs seems to be a mystery. BTW, there are a few different part numbers for CDI boxes in the 88-02 year range also.

I just looked up the part numbers for the charge coil. 88-97 is 37A-85520-M1-00 and 98-06 is 14L-85520-M0-00.

Last edited:
Now hold on there Bluesman, no need to attack DUALSTROKE, the guy knows his sh*t. Anyway, it's obvious that there are some differences in coils, you've proven that. However, it's beyond me whether or not it would actually cause problems.

FYI, when I rebuilt my blaster i ordered a new ignition coil and the description said '88-'06 (no typos). And as soon as I got it I checked the resistances (cause I trust no one) and they were all in spec to what the '88-'02 manual said. And my blaster is a '96 so all green lights for me. :)

Last edited:
I'm not attacking anybody. Just trying to keep somebody from smoking their CDI because of obviously wrong information. If you don't believe me, go wire your toaster into your dryer outlet and see what happens. If someone is holding an apple in one hand and an orange in the other, and insisting that they're the same, are you going to believe them?

First off, ditch comments about the toaster and the apples and oranges. You insult my intelligence sir and I do not appreciate it. Secondly, I AGREE WITH YOU. There is a potential for smoking CDIs or ignition coils. So people should pay attention to what parts they buy and make sure they are compatible. Good job on finding this out, btw.

ut oh just found this.....:eek:

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/oem-schematic/2#
select generator this site is not allowing me to open the pg directly:)

37A-85520-M1-00
(replaces part #
14L-85520-M0-00)

COIL, CHARGE

From searching and searching on google I was under the impression that the early model original coils had a with that connected to orange as a bullet style connect, and the updated new style coil has the spade... My 95 harness has the bullet style connection but a spade adapter... I'll find some pictures if I can

image.jpg

Kinda can see the adapter there