Clutch screw and locknut

Str8blasted

Mar 21, 2011
I did a clutch adjustment yesterday, and went riding. Everything was fine, until I stopped and dowshifted. In first I let off the clutch and nothing happened every fear was like neutral. Got it home and tore it back apart to find out the outter locknut came off the screw. And the screw is like down in the middle of the second nut. What are the steps I need to take to cure this problem. Do I need to take out the clutch pack?

nope, but you'll need to remove the pressure plate, to screw the shaft back out enuf to get the outer nut on, be sure to watch that the ball bearing in between the 2 shafts doesnt fall out when doing this, maybe pull the pressure plate, watch for the ball, if it stays in there, push a little grease into the hole to keep it in there, then replace the pressure plate being sure to align the marks(dots) on it and the inner basket

then disconnect your cable, either at the hand lever, or actuator lever on the case, get the pointer on the actuator rod pointed to the mark on the case, turn the inner rod in till it just makes contact, back it off a 1/2 turn, clean the rod threads and nut with brake cleaner to remove any oil, then use some locktite to keep it tight this time

See if you can turn it back to where it needs to be. If you can't take the pressure plate off. be careful not to loose "BB" in there. Maybe clean it off and put a drop of blue loctite on it also. Have to let it set up before riding.

Found the "marks" but this screw is being a p.i.t.a. It is stripping when I turn the nut. So I stopped before I messed it up too bad. Any advice on doing this the right way?

Yeah I took it off. But there's like a washer connected to the nut, making it hard to get anything back there to hold the screw shaft. I was looking for a pair of those needle nose pliers with the 90 degree bend. But I can't find any around here. I'm hoping this won't turn into a transmission overhaul because of this stripped screw!

I don't suppose that is the locknut since I need to get this nut screwed down in order to put the locknut over the screw and make the adjustment. It is the inner nut that has a washer made onto it that sits behind the locknut

Been to long since I had the clutch apart, but from the parts diagram looks like the inner nut (push plate) should pop out of the pressure plate. Have you tried vice grips? Might have to replace push plate, rod, and lock nut. Sounds like something got boogered up.
Numbers 4, 6, 18 , page 165 in Clymers.

Made some progress early this morning, i got the nut off of the shaft, but i cannot get the screw shaft out of the clutch basket, from the diagram it looks like there are only threads at the tip of the adjustment screw. my screw is threaded into the basket it looks like.how do i get the screw out? its just spinning aand i cannot pull it out ( didnt try very hard but it felt like its still threaded in so i didnt put too much force on it)

Having trouble getting the pushrod out of the clutch basket. Is it threaded in there or does it pop out? I read posts about tipping the quad to the right and it will fall out.

Yeah, I can't get it out of the trans shaft. Should I be able to pull it out? It spins and moves in and out like it's supposed to. But I need to get it out to replace it.

even with vise grips locked onto it, and hittin the vise grips outward with a hammer this push rod just doesnt want to come out, im stuck and i need advise...

Try pulling the clutch actuater out of the case. Begining to think you either welded the ball to the shaft or you have somehow created a burr on something. Have a feeling this is not going to turn out pretty.

worst case senerion is you have to split the cases to drive it out. sounds like you welded the ball to the rod. did you coast a long way holding the clutch in. like down a long hill?

^^^^ agreed with both posts above. This isn't going to turn out pretty and worst case scenario is you have to pull the input shaft out of the cases and drive the shaft out of the middle of it.

No I wasn't coasting down a hill with the clutch pulled in. I was ridin in a open feild and I wasn't really ridin hard. I honestly would like to try everything possible before splitting the cases. Would I be able to access the pushrods if I take the clutch basket off? And what would be the benifit of removing the
actuator?