CHAIN WILL NOT TIGHTEN! HELP

Calebd22

Jun 6, 2016
My new toomey will be here in the next 5 hours and my chain is screwed and I have no idea what to do I need a quick fix for the day for my video and so I can test the new exhaust .
Here's the Issue: When I first got the blaster the chain was fine , I rode it for a while then BOOM it went completely to sh*t loose , I'm not familiar with atvs yet , BUT! One odd thing which I think is the issue is one "adjuster bolt 13mm" on the left was smaller then the one on the right side . The right adjuster was around 4in and the left is about 3in , and there was no lock nuts on them . I went to Lowes Hardware store and got 2 3in Bolts and 2 lock nuts put them on and I don't think there long enough to work ? The chain isn't tightening . Do I need to take a link out of the chain? It looks really long and stretched , and I can't afford a new one right now so I'd rather remove a link . But are my adjuster Bolts too small? Or am I just not doing something right ? I've watched plenty of videos on how to tighten them but it's still not working , maybe a bad axle ??? Can someone just please help ! I didn't no anywhere else to turn

I don't know the answer to your adjuster bolt questions but I do know that if your chain is so stretched that you need to remove a link than your chain is shot. A stretch chain can cause you to jump teeth on your sprocket or break teeth off. I'd much rather save some money and buy new chain and sprockets (need to buy together or you will be back to where it was after one ride) than have the chain break and buy a new case half and do a full rebuild.

if you bought shorter adjuster bolts @ lowes than the original ones, then it's not going to adjust as far as it originally did.
sounds like the answer is to go back and buy the correct length bolts to restore it to the original adjustment.

it also sounds like you're due for a new sprockets and chain set....soon.
(you must do both, not just new chain to old worn sprockets)

as mentioned above, the risk of not getting new chain/sprockets and continuing to ride is is a jumped or busted chain, which can and does quite often break the right side engine case = big $

Yes I lossen the carrier bolts and get everyhing adjusted just right to where I want my chain and it's decently tight , I TIGHTEN the carrier bolts back teally tight , then I take the blaster off the stand then boom the Carrie bolts become loose and chain goes slack again . I've done this over 10 times and it's driving me crazy . I guess I'll have to get new OEM adjuster bolts and go from there . But no idea where to order them . I can't find them locally around me .

And I don't even think I can get the sprocket off , someone welded it to a nut on my axle , maybe it's on right I have no idea but I'll post pics and you guys let me know what you think . But I don't think that things coming off

If I roll the AtV forward a little the chain tightens , if I roll it back it gets really loose and slack again, for some reason it's going from tight to loose

I think you are doing something wrong. Loosen the 2 bolts that go through the swing arm and carrier. should be 14mm bolt head and 17mm nut. On the back there are 2 cahin adjusters, 4" long I think. To tighten the chain these bolts need to be screwed OUT. Then I always take a prybar or something and pull the bottom of the carrier towards the back. This will tighten the chain. Then screw in the 2 adjuster bolts on the back until you have the correct tightness, once its correct, tighten nut down and then tighten the 2 big ones that go through the carrier.

Okay you guys , I believe my adjuster Bolts are to small , and a MAJOR part I missed was the part about the "Pry Bar" I just had someone holding it I didn't no about using the bar. It's late here now so tomorrow evening when I get off work I'll shoot you guys some photos so you can see the JUNK I'm working with . I made a trade on Craigslist so now I'm just stuck with this thing been dumping money into . Brand new 400$ toomey and I can't even test it :( . Hopefully tmro we can get it figured out . I THANK ALL OF YOU for the input

Okay you guys , I believe my adjuster Bolts are to small , and a MAJOR part I missed was the part about the "Pry Bar"

PRY BAR??? WTF? Since when do you need a pry bar to adjust the chain? Seriously? If you are serious about the pry bar, STOP until further notice. Obviously something is NOT correct.

Hang in there... we'll get you dialed in.

Post some quality photos of what you have, and what you are working with. Help us help you.

Reactions: BlackBlaster86
Someone else mentioned a pry bar , no clue about that.
Ya, pics will help.
I have a feeling that something is jacked with the axle.
You need to support the swingarm so tires are off the ground and inspect everything closely.

Don't worry, almost everyone makes a less than perfect deal sooner or later.

On a positive note,
My son traded a flipper Blaster we did a top end on for a Pontiac Fiero.
Drove it one summer, recently sold it for $950
Turned around and bought AR last Saturday
Entered free raffle at Williams Gun Sight anniversary celebration and won 380 pistol.

Reactions: Scheel
Using a pry bar to swing the bottom of the carrier out to adjust it isnt going to hurt anything.....Its not like hes a world strong man competitor and is going to pry the carrier until its in a pretzel shape....come on guys lol. If the bike has been rode in any type of dirt mud combination, that carrier is not going to move with finger pressure. Sometimes a little leverage is needed. Kinda blew that one out of proportion didn't ya joe?

Are you kidding me??? You must "leak test" the carrier bolts BEFORE adjusting the the chain. Always use OEM or cometic base gaskets on the chain guides, other wise they may leak,... causing a lean condition of the chain! Very important!

:)

Seriously... I believe his adjuster bolts to be to short.

Reactions: jbuckster07