carb leaks bad

vile

Sep 12, 2009
Sup guys, im new to this forum, and also being my own mechanic. My blaster started pissing out gas from the bottom and side over flow tubes on the carb last winter. I figured it was the floats b/c thats what 99% of posts say, but i was too afraid to open them up figuring id mess things up. so it sat all winter while i used my raptor instead ;).
Well i got a rebulid kit, and took the carb off, (way easier than expected) and did a complete cleaning of the floats, bowls, and replaced the pilot screw, main jet, and gasket while i was at it.
i didnt take the slide apart (black thing with throttle cable and spring on it) cause i didnt have the time or idea of how to get it apart so i just cleaned the outside of it and the spot it slides in and out of.
put the whole thing back together grit free, turned on the gas, and after 2 hours of carb cleaning....complete dissapointment, gas everywhere :eek::eek::eek::eek:

so now i got the carb off....
1st question- when looking thru the carb (from the airbox side to engine side, is the black slide supposed to completely close off that section if the throttle is not being pushed? b/c mine is not completely sitting, probably half cm of space...would this be causing my carb too overflow? click top of box where it says photo 969, it will pop up, dunno why it wont work
Pic 969 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
2nd question: anyone have a clear explanation of how to set the floats, which way to bend them for more or less fuel if im getting gas out the bottom hose? i dont have a manual nor can i find one online for free

sorry for all the typing and noob language, im just gettin started with all this...thanks for any help...

Last edited by a moderator:
do i want the little metal tab to push the needle more or less when the carbs float? i thought taking the little clip off the needle would make it easier to bend, but it popped off n i couldnt get it back on before work. any info on how to get to the needle under the floats? even after I popped that clip off, the floats wont swing back far enough to unscrew the component underneath them.. ill get baack to the bike tomorrow

This how it works. The bowl will fill up with fluid as it fills up the float will begin to ride up with the fluid as it gets to the top it needs to hit and stop fluid from entering in the bowl. There should be a tab it will hit. If you need to play with it and get an idea you can run fuel through it and push the tab the float needs to hit and the fuel should stop coming in. Basically you need to bend the tab down so the float hits it before it gets all the way to the top.

thank for a more resonable answer besides floatsfloatsfloatsfloats. hoperfully this is the same answer for my 660, cause i gotta do 2 carbs after this ones fixed :eek:

What you should also check is that the slides the floats ride on are not dirty. If they are dirty clean them. This can keep the floats from being able to ride all the way to the top. This is very common if the bike has been sitting. The other problem is they get stuck at the top from sitting too long. But if you run it out of fuel before letting it sit they get stuck down and can't make it to the top. This will cause fuel to keep pouring in and never shut off. Basically fuel will just pour out of the vents when this occures.