Carb is gummed up.....

BoNasty07

Apr 22, 2012
So im new to this thread, and i just bought a 2002 blaster from a guy is in ok shapec you can tell it has been ridden, only thing is the carb is gummed up so icant really ride it... is it hard to rebuild the carb and clean it or would it be easiest to take it to my mechanic....

Get yourself a can of carburetor cleaner (or Uni-Solv, what I use). Take off the bowl, remove the float and all the little parts. Spray everything thoroughly and wipe off any excess "gunk". Take out your slide, clean it good, and also clean your needle. Not worth taking it to anyone, and you probably won't need to rebuild it.

Make sure you get Ll the passage ways clean. Carb cleaner and compressed air works well. Make sure you get all the little holes in the side of the pilot jet clean. You can use a bread tie stripped down to the wore in the center to clean the holes in the side of the pilot jet.

Forgot to add, make sure you put the slide back in the correct way some it goes all the down or you will have a high rev when you start it.

Welcome indeed! If you have any access to an ultrasonic cleaner, it will work miracles on that gummed-up carburetor. We use one at work with just Simple Green degreaser and water, and the carbs come out looking like new after about an hour. Granted, carburetor cleaner works almost as well and is much cheaper, but if you can borrow one it is worth using for the job. Plus, an ultrasonic cleaner won't eat up rubber or plastic parts inside the carburetor like strong chemicals can.