Burnt out lights Q

xjma

I just want to double check that I need to replace the "voltage regulator," or whatever the exact term is for it.

A while back I lost the low beam, which I thought was normal. I accidentally leave the lights on a lot when I turn the blaster off. And it stays outside in the snow....but it likes it! But the other night I noticed that rear light was out and so was the high....so I rode around at night with my petzl head lamp!! Since the high and the rear went out at the same time, would I be correct to assume that it was the voltage regulator?? Could it be the switch getting some water in it and shorting out and killing the bulb??

I know this may be a hard thing to tell over the internet, but just thought I'd throw this out there and see if people had similar experiences. Thanx.

I just want to double check that I need to replace the "voltage regulator," or whatever the exact term is for it.

A while back I lost the low beam, which I thought was normal. I accidentally leave the lights on a lot when I turn the blaster off. And it stays outside in the snow....but it likes it! But the other night I noticed that rear light was out and so was the high....so I rode around at night with my petzl head lamp!! Since the high and the rear went out at the same time, would I be correct to assume that it was the voltage regulator?? Could it be the switch getting some water in it and shorting out and killing the bulb??

I know this may be a hard thing to tell over the internet, but just thought I'd throw this out there and see if people had similar experiences. Thanx.

nah it wouldnt be the switch i would assume that when yamaha made the quad that they would think it would see wet conditions haha...
but yeah its prolly your voltage regulator you could find out for sure if you had a D.V.O.M.

do you have a power tester??
if so checkpower at light.. then go from there. you may have burned the bulbs.. i dont really understand your statement about leaving the lights on wen you turn the bike off cause that wouldnt work.. anyway check if there is power at the light if soo check bulbs.

What is DVOM??? I've got a digital multimeter!!

The part about leaving them on, I meant that the switch stays on when I turn the bike off, and so the lights are usually on when I start it back up next time....which probably isn't ideal??

When I check voltage at the light sockets, what would be too much?? Will I know the regulator is bad at idle or do I need to have it reved up to tell if the regulator is busted?

doesnt matter as long as there is power at the light.. the bulb should light up the amount of power doesnt matter it just means the light is dimmer or brighter..
just test the wires by the light..
whatcha got there??

of course put the tester on DC and a low number the bike is only gonna put 12v there..

Reactions: xjma
If it is bad, it would fail to hold (regulate) the voltage. As you rev the bike it would climb over 12v bad. Same thing my bike did. Put new reg on and it worked good. Should be around 12.5v. Much more and the bulbs dont like it.