build and use a leakdown tester

great write up and DYI.........

I was just goingto ask about this since I just rebuilt my topend...

Thanks phragle

Have some greens.........

if you wanna save yourself the hassle of using rubber/steel over the exhaust just buy a plumbers plug ( they expand a rubber seal outward to seal off holes of different diameters ), makes things alot easier...

Here is the one I just made for $20 at Menards.

It has a 0 -100 psi, but I'm going to change it out with a gauge I already had at the house. I just liked the way the gauge, valve and housing was put together.

You can swipe most of those parts off an old "portable air tank" very similar tree.

rubber freeze out plugs from an auto parts store work well to seal the ex port w/o having to mess with the studs / nuts.

be certain the spark plug is sealed, use a tapered rubber plug from a vile and thread it in the plug hole, it will seal 100% and not damage the threads.

EXC post, this works well to check any 2 stroke even chainsaws / boat motors etc

Found a leak on my reed cage a little RTV and bam leak fixed! Thanks Phragle, this probably saved my newly rebuild motor! Green for you!

What type of adverse effects can happen if the crankcase vent tube is plugged?just tore my new 02 blaster down and had to beat the hose with a rubber mallet to break up the debris in it, it was completely and totally plugged.

What type of adverse effects can happen if the crankcase vent tube is plugged?just tore my new 02 blaster down and had to beat the hose with a rubber mallet to break up the debris in it, it was completely and totally plugged.

possibly just some oil foaming ???
you'll be fine if it's still working correctly and you caught it in time

This too is very helpfull,

14mqc1y.jpg

The video had a good point about making sure you check your lines before doing the actual test on the motor.otherwise you could be there for hours wondering where the pressure is going scratching your head:-/

Leak tests can be performed at the spark plug hole, the exhaust has to be plugged.

The system can only be tested for the crancase only as the reeds will block the passage of air to the carby boot.

Damage can occur to the reeds if too much pressure is applied.

Just wondering, but would a leak tester that plugs into spark plug hole work? Ofc you would have to plug exhaust and intake...

That's a compression tester. Screws into where the spark plug goes, to check your compression/ rings, piston /etc.. there's a sticky on hear about that... but that tests the compression from inside out.. different situation..;)

A leak test can be performed at the plug hole, the pressure will leak past the rings and pressurise the crancase but will stop at the reeds, therfore the complete intake cannot be tested.

Damage can be done to the reeds if the recommended pressure is exceeded.