boot leaking

Reaper26

Sep 5, 2012
alabama
the 04 im building back is leaking, we started on it last night and I ordered base gaskets from the dealer and when I got back here they were wrong. so I just used yamabond on the base, we got all that together and started leak testing and the intake is leaking very bad, it had space and we took it off, still leaked, I have two other cages and 3 other boots and tried them all, they all leak between the boot and the cage. finally I just put some yamabond on the boot and let it sit for a lil bit. tested it put 5 lbs in it and it leaked less than a pound every 2 mins. why wont any of the boots I have seal? I ordered a new one today but for now its all together and runs better than it ever has.

ive used it as a base gasket before, but ive never used it around fuel. will it be ok behind that boot until the new one gets here? and i took a big flat file to the intake port and wen across it, the was a low spot at top and bottom but we got it smooth and it still leaked, but not there, thats what was throwing me off.

Boots and cages are notorious for leaking especially if they have been tensioned up over 5.8 ft lbs.

They also need to be tensioned in the correct sequence, diagonally and incrementally or they warp and leak.

A gasket must be used, not just sealant.

Do not ride the bike with a leaky inlet, your are courting disaster, the reason it is running better than it ever has could be because it is running on the BOOM side of lean.

the 04 im building back is leaking, we started on it last night and I ordered base gaskets from the dealer and when I got back here they were wrong. so I just used yamabond on the base, we got all that together and started leak testing and the intake is leaking very bad, it had space and we took it off, still leaked, I have two other cages and 3 other boots and tried them all, they all leak between the boot and the cage. finally I just put some yamabond on the boot and let it sit for a lil bit. tested it put 5 lbs in it and it leaked less than a pound every 2 mins. why wont any of the boots I have seal? I ordered a new one today but for now its all together and runs better than it ever has.
I got a Blaster that someone had the motor built, mine leaked in the same place as yours. I put a little silicon sealant on it then tested it ,it was fine. Later I removed the silicone and added another intake gasket like the other to that side , fixed.

finally I just put some yamabond on the boot and let it sit for a lil bit. tested it put 5 lbs in it and it leaked less than a pound every 2 mins. why wont any of the boots I have seal? I ordered a new one today but for now its all together and runs better than it ever has.

ive used it as a base gasket before, but ive never used it around fuel. will it be ok behind that boot until the new one gets here? and i took a big flat file to the intake port and wen across it, the was a low spot at top and bottom but we got it smooth and it still leaked, but not there, thats what was throwing me off.

Ok, you can see from above why I was concerned.

I agree with Blaaster a base gasket is a must[oem or cometic]running sealant only is begging for disaster.What if it starts to leak on a long ride?

we rode them all day sat, ran great, timing needs to be advanced without the gaskets. i rode mine with just yamabond on the base for about two years, never had it leak, ive only had gaskets start to leak. but ive got some stock gaskets that i may put on instead of buying timing plates for them. havent really decided yet.