Blaster Powered Go Kart

OK, here's a few.
Mounting the engine to the suspension is not ideal.
With the engine mounted above the axle, I'm pretty sure the chain is going to hit the case.
Those heim joints for the rear suspension don't look big enough.
How are you going to attach the sprocket hub to the axle?
Are you going to mount the gas tank beside your head or are you going to use a fuel pump?

I agree, not ideal mounting the engedne on the suspension, but with kart length restrictions it was our best bet. We're not going to be racing this through whoop sections, mainly grassy tracks and mild woods. We test fit the chain and don't have any clearance issues. Since its static, we don't have to incorporate much chain slack. The engine was mounted above the axle instead of in front of it due to complexities with the kickstarter clearance. Also we would've had issues with the FMF expansion chamber clearing the seat. Again, I agree, lower COG would've been better, but much more complex. I don't think we're going to have stability issues though since our track width is just shy of 4ft. I talked to a kart building company and they recommended this size heim jt. It's currently being abused on one of our other karts without any issue. However it's an easy upgrade if need be.

We used the Blaster sprocket hub and very carefully welded to thick keyed end pieces. We're welding two additional bearings right around the sprocket to counteract axle flex under power. And as for the gas tank, we're going to build a rear section onto the main frame to protect the engine from rollovers. We're going to incorporate a small gallon gravity fed tank into this.

I somewhat regret posting the picture now, as it's still really far from finished. I think we're probably 65% finished so far. What you see isn't even completely welded together, just tacked in place. We still need to heavily brace everything and create a tower for the rear adjustable motor mount. You make some good points, and in an ideal world with unlimited time and resources we'd do it differently. None the less, I think the finished product will be tons of fun.

Call KOR and ask him for head. I know he bought a lot of them last year so he might be able to sell you a cut one

although that head you have should be fine, just the very high comp is sometime hard to find gas for
im wondering why it is so high. The head doesnt look like it was even cut that much

I called my engine builder today and he thinks something's flukey with my test. He asked me to measure piston to head clearance with an end of solder. He then recommended that I start it with some 105 octane in it, let it idle for 5 min, and then recheck the compression. He said the head wasn't milled nearly that much, and that he though I would've been able to run 93 when it was being built. Figure I have nothing to loose by the test he recommended.

That head doesn't look like much was done to it other than a shave. As a basic rule, .010" off the face will boost static compression about 10 PSI and drop the cc of the head about 1 cc. It's possible that the head was shaved .060" - .070" to get those numbers. Here's the bad news. With a squish band that wide, it's probably going to detonate no mater what you use for fuel. Here's the good news. I can fix it.

That head doesn't look like much was done to it other than a shave. As a basic rule, .010" off the face will boost static compression about 10 PSI and drop the cc of the head about 1 cc. It's possible that the head was shaved .060" - .070" to get those numbers. Here's the bad news. With a squish band that wide, it's probably going to detonate no mater what you use for fuel. Here's the good news. I can fix it.

I've never seen a stock head, can someone tell me how tall the lip is from the factory?

Update - Squish is .038" on my motor. Ordered a used stock head on eBay. I'm going to test the motor next week with race gas with current head. If it's knocking I'm going to put the stock head on and send the shaved head to O'Conner for a rechamber job.

I think its a really cool project. I like it. Ida mounted the engine on the frame instead of on the suspension but I guess if its gonna be mostly road driving then it wont matter much

Reactions: RatedM
I measured the indent on a stock head yesterday. .040".

Thank you, Ken. I'm going to re-measure compression and send the shaved head to you. Would it help to include pictures of the port job? For the mean time, I'm going to throw he stock head on.