big carb or head and port job

rhyno2565

Jun 7, 2014
buffalo ny
So I was looking around on line and reading some posts on here and it seems like the next step in my fun little blaster build would be to port it and then I was looking some more and found stuff about re chambering the head. So I talked to the guy at the shop that bored the cylinder for me and he says that I can pull the same kind of power out of the bike by just slapping on a larger carb. Is this true it seems like this would be the cheaper way to go but is it going to really improve the bike as much as he says it will

So I was looking around on line and reading some posts on here and it seems like the next step in my fun little blaster build would be to port it and then I was looking some more and found stuff about re chambering the head. So I talked to the guy at the shop that bored the cylinder for me and he says that I can pull the same kind of power out of the bike by just slapping on a larger carb. Is this true it seems like this would be the cheaper way to go but is it going to really improve the bike as much as he says it will

I suggest you stay out of that shop, or at least quit asking their opinion, they are clueless :)
you may even lose power adding a larger carb without the supporting mods, at least bottom end, and the stock carb has been proven to handle quite a few mods before anything larger is needed.

go with porting, head mod and pipe for the most gains.

Reactions: dirtysquared
Not necessarily. Without porting and a head mod a larger carb won't do much good. Even then as awk said it will take from your low end power, but add to the top

Ok so far I have full dg exhaust, Boysen reeds, reed spacer, no air box lid k&n air filter, carb jetted, 14 front and 40 tear sprocket and I think that's it

So basically with the carb it'll be like robbing Peter to pay paul

once you rob peter, use that $ to buy a better pipe first, the DG is not much more than a chrome stock pipe,
and will hold back any other mods you do.

DG = Down Grade.. There are quite a few pipes on e bay right now cheap.

Choose your header pipe wisely, decide where you want your power.

DMC Alien, FMF are low /mid pipes, most others are mid/top end ones.

What style/type/terrain will you be doing the most riding.

IF you send out your head for a mod, get a good pipe suited to your needs, and jet your carb accordingly, you will not even know its the same Blaster.

If you keep your eyes open, and watch for deals, you can probably do all that for under $250. That's money well spent to wake it up from a sleepy stock state.

KOR head and porting you wont be disappointed one bit even with the stock carb i have a right bend pipe as well and i gotta say its changed my blaster considerably

Let me put it this way. In the Special Olympics, everyone's a winner, but the guy that machined that head came in dead last.

thats the same dude who copied kens shock bushings, makes them out of aluminum
(instead of the KOR stainless bushings )
and doesn't offer the bolt required, yet he's charging double for them :eek:
I suspect it's someone from here

maybe by CNC machined, he means he drug the CNC machine over it, cause he surely has no clue how to run it.
look at the visible grooves in it :eek: :eek:

ad2ts2.jpg