BBB: Blaster Big Bore

4fingerninja

Dec 20, 2009
i have a 96 blaster that needs a top end rebuild. i thought about just get a weisco piston and a big bore kit. Well i thought even more i was wondering if i can just bore out the stock cylinder and get it replated. yes i know this would cost a lot but this is the catch, my uncle owns a machine shop and can do it for me for free. well i would need to clean up his shot or something but still free. but the question is A: how much would it cost to have my jug shipped out or brought somewhere to get it replated? B is it possible to just bore it out and get a bigger piston? C what is the biggest i can go with the stock crank?

No replate needed on a stock cylinder-it's a steel sleeve. I went to the 2nd over-bore on ours. Remember, the bigger it is, the more heat it makes. And if you just go 1 or 2 over, you have room to do it again if there is a failure later down he road.

how thick is the steel sleeve? and what kind of power improvement did you receive for 2 over
None, you will regain your comp back on a tired jug.. thats all.
Overbore pistons are only for when you need your jug bored, they add no real performance or cc's ( .5-4cc's)

And steel sleeves are old school but I like them more becauce their cheaper and easier to rebuild. The only plated blaster jug is the ct 200 and airisal 200 and 240's.

well LA sells a 240 big bore cylinder sleave (sp?) for about $150 then it would need to be pressed in..
how much experience does your uncle have with 2strokes???

he knows a lot about engines be it from a corvette to a ktm 500 and he also has a press to insert the new sleeve