At the end of the day...

purplesan

Apr 11, 2009
Virginia
I took a vacation day today. I'm reading backwards on the forum so I don't ask questions that have been answered 1000 times over. The only place I have to ride my Blaster right now is my yard. Not exactly the biggest the place but at least I can play. I know the compression is almost shot. The front tires need to be replaced, the brakes almost work, and some of the seals are bad.

I am putting together a "wish list" of sorts. Looking at '03 disc brakes on eBay. Lets say I go all out with a big bore kit, carburetor, reeds, sprockets, wheels/tires and whatever else it takes to completely rebuild the entire bike.

My wife is concerned that the amount of money put in it will be a loss after a certain point. She watches eBay too and has informed me several times that the $500 I paid for a worn out 1993 Blaster is about all I'd ever get out of it no matter what I did. These are the times when I wouldn't miss my wife if she decided to leave me.

Looks like I'd have about $3,000 in bike that was a close to new as possible.

I don't think anyone would pay $3,000 for a 16 year old Blaster either, maybe I'm wrong - what do ya'll think?

maybe in canada haha, ya it seems like blasters in the states dont really have a good value.
i mean theres an 06 here for 3200
i paid 1450 for my 88 stock

i think you need to buy ur sh*t off here and ebay and you can build it for WAY LESS than that, people here give good deals, watch ebay be patient, or just have the cylinder you have bored/honed if it isn't too far to near done have it p/p, if you go that route you can get it done for less than a grand, unless you go bb kit, which is 500 right on the spot
but here is some price comparisons
240 kit:500
34mm carb:125-150(maybe cheaper)
vf3:120
lrd exhaust: 200(maybe less)(full)used
so for 945 dollars you can have this if you are patient, then you get into tires,rims,shocks, about another 500 for bargaining, jmo

I can be patient. I have to go for at least one good ride before I start tearing into my first bike. Right now, the compression is not a problem. The brakes are a big problem. I'll be honest, I have to learn how ride before I can do anything. I can handle anything mechanical. Knowing what to do and why I'm doing it...that's why I came here. Thanks for the assurance.

trust me once you start you will not stop, just look at my bike from the pics,im still not done, lol,the way i have been doing it is i buy something them sell the old thing for as much as i can get for it, that way you are not spending less and keeping the wife happy,and off ur ass about spending all the money, lol

if your anywhere like me she's right to a point. i paid 700 for mine and put 2000 more into it, i havent even ridden it a full summer yet because it was just put back togather late last year and i'd be lucky as can be to get 1200 out of it if i wanted to sell. so i've pretty much told myself im stuck with it forever... dont matter if i buy a brand new yfz450 tomorow ill still be keeping the blaster just because for whats in it to me its worth more than 1200 to keep around as a conversation starter and daydream inspiration lol still not done with it tho ill probably have another 1500 in it before im done. i should have just saved up to buy a yfz450 or something to begin with but its been fun and is teaching me alot.

dunno how big you are or if your the kind of person to stick with something but if i were you and your a bigger guy or someone who needs something thats gonna scare him every day i would set yourself a limit to spend on it and only put that money into things like wider axles or longer swing arms good brakes to make it comfortable and safe for you to ride and ride it for a year or 2 like that use it to learn to ride since you said you need to and then at that time debate weather or not you need something bigger and more powerfull or not.if you need something more powerful sell the blaster for a small loss (alot smaller than if you sunk $3k init) and use the money from that to put torwards a bigger quad that you dont need to mod to death to give you a thrill.

if you got the cash to blow tho f*ck it lol lets see what you can strap on that bad boy.

the way i have been doing it is i buy something them sell the old thing for as much as i can get for it, that way you are not spending less and keeping the wife happy,and off ur ass about spending all the money, lol

im doing it a different way lol i got her to want to ride so now she wants me to hook her blaster up that means i can buy new stuff for mine and put the stuff from mine on hers, like the new kendas and douglas rims i got are going on hers and im going to upgrade to the red label douglas chromes, fmf fatty's gonna go on hers and im going to upgrade to either a toomey or vito's fat bastard. +3 spacers going on her blaster and im getting a new extended axle :D

works out for both of us, i get to keep making mine faster so it keeps giving me a thrill and she gets some damn near new hand me downs that will take her faster than she'll ever want to go:D

HELL I LOVE MY BLASTER EVEN THOUGH I WANT SOMETHING ELSE.

I'VE PUT LIKE 15-1700 IN IT AFTER BUYING IT FOR 400.00 AND I STILL LIKE IT.

I STILL WANT ANOTHER QUAD BUT AT THE SAME TIME MY FREIND BOUGHT ONE NEW
IN 06 AND JUST TRADED IT IN AND THEY GAVE HIM 1500.00 AFTER HE HAD PAID 3k+
FOR IT.

HELL I CAN GET A USED YFZ FOR 3000-4500. AND THEY SPENT WHAT 8K NEW

NOT MUCH DIFFERENT WHEN YOU LOOK AT ANYTHING.

I WORK AT A CAR DEALERSHIP AND NO MATTER WHAT YOU LOSE MONEY WHEN YOU LEAVE THE LOT.

YOU CANT LOOK AT SOMETHING LIKE THIS AS A BREAK EVEN OR MONEY MAKER.

LOOK AT IT AS A DOWN PAYMENT ON YOUR SANITY.

ALL THE MONEY I SPEND I CAN biotch ABOUT UNTIL I'M OUT ON A DUNE OR IN THE TRAILS AND LOVING LIFE, I FORGET HOW MUCH AND ENJOY THE FREEDOM.

well heres what i think.....
no matter what kind of parts you put into your blasty, remember to save all the old stuff and whatever mounting hardware is needed to put it back on. when you decide to sell it ( if you do) simply take off the aftermarket stuff and return it to stock or where its at now, sell it for 500 bucks, and post up any aftermarket parts here and that way you can at least get half of your money back from your investment. or you can do what myself and many others on this site are doing, and never sell it. even if you never ride it anymore keep it , at the very least your kid(s) will have the fastest blasty around when they are old enough to ride. hopefully that all made sense to somebody

As fas as I know, I will be mostly riding trails. This all started over an invitation to the Hatfield/McCoy trails in WV. I have ridden utilities before. I remember being un-nervy on really steep hills - up or down. I am pretty much over that now - I tend to try things I normally wouldn't after a beer or three. This applies to every aspect of life - not so much riding. Nothing stupid, mind you. Something as simple as riding up the ramps on the truck. Not as bad as I thought but it took a six pack to not care if I flipped it or not. Anybody ever felt that way? I like the Blaster. As it is it will flip over in first gear with a good mash of the throttle, it will flip over in second if you pop the clutch a little. I weigh about a 170 pounds so it carries me very well, I think. Tight turns are a problem - somebody teach me how to spin around - please.

I think. Tight turns are a problem - somebody teach me how to spin around - please.
if on dirt or stone just make sure going into the corner your rpm's are in the mid to high range and smash it half way through. this works better with some wheel spacers, be carefull trying it stock width if you feel top heavy on it or you may barrel roll. burn some donuts right before you try it to get the feel for it.

Donuts!?! I'd be happy to do a half a donut. But if that's where you start...grass drifting looks like fun too...

Guess the only real way to learn is do...huh?