98 blaster help

Jre720

Dec 26, 2016
Hey guys so I went out today and picked up a 98 blaster and an 01 blaster both pretty good condition but on the 98 on the left side of the flywheel/crank case (not positive what to call it lol) anyway it has gas rising to the surface and it was so cold today on revs you could see it blowing out air, is it the base gasket on the cylinder or the case leaking?

Second question is also on the 98 it very good compression in the kick starter and will kick over and fire up,, after parking it and going to start it again the kick starter has no compression what so ever and just sinks right down as if the motor wasn't even connected or something if you kick consecutively the compression will come back and the bike will fire right up

I apologize for the long post but any ideas on either issue? I can add for whatever reason the 98 did not have an air filter would that play any issue?

Left side = Stator behind flywheel. Should be no oil, Fuel or mud in here.

Sounds like crack seal is leaking. It can be replaced without stripping the engine. You will need a fly wheel puller. Cheap on ebay.

Reactions: Jre720
Thanks man I will look into that right now any ideas on the kick starter?

This is what I need correct? Already have air filter on order, and speedy I have the 05 still I actually picked up the 2 today for my step dad and brother , and plan on helping them get them up n running to specs so that's why I said I picked them up

Attachments

• IMG_7429.PNG
    IMG_7429.PNG
    356.7 KB · Views: 143
Reactions: speedyslyder
Mark ,haven't done a compression test honestly the price was great for the 2 so we couldn't say no being that they both started 2-3 kicks and the kick starters were both very firm..until the 98 started having that problem but when it doesn't have that problem it is very firm

This is what I need correct? Already have air filter on order, and speedy I have the 05 still I actually picked up the 2 today for my step dad and brother , and plan on helping them get them up n running to specs so that's why I said I picked them up

lol ok just checking:)

damn get after it i love 250's
alot of power between your legs:D
i had a yz250 as well:cool:

Hell yea man it's an old one 91 yz250 rips and burns I love it I weigh 140lbs that thing rides me lol as you said that power and vibration between your legs is an insane feeling of power you should pick up another ;)

Reactions: speedyslyder
Hell yea man it's an old one 91 yz250 rips and burns I love it I weigh 140lbs that thing rides me lol as you said that power and vibration between your legs is an insane feeling of power you should pick up another ;)

i with you man mine was a 93 there is pics videos of it on here
yes i could post numerous threads for you a give advice but it has all been written on here
and im being lazy tonight lol:rolleyes: searching is good but 1 on 1 advice is second to none:)

Reactions: Jre720
starting a 2 stroke in 20-30 degree weather
sitting in 20-30 weather
after siting for a week or even over night is never a easy task.
i have had flawless engine's that wont kick over till about the ?? kickso_O
not to mention the twist throttle can get frozen in those temps...........