240 big bore kit need help tunning.

FasterBlaster

Oct 29, 2007
I just bought my blaster a month ago. Well to make a long story short. I bought a big bore motor off racingjunk.com from some guy in arizona. The motor is everything and more I expected. Ok the problem is this past weekend I blew the stock motor up. Now I am forced to put the 240 motor in. WEll I didn't get to do any research on the 240. So I installed the motor and was wanting to know if it is ok to use the stock airbox. I was thinking about taking the lid off and buying a couple of the little airbox vents that you drill and install on the side of the box.I know this damn motor needs more air.The 240 also came with a keihin flat slide carb. Well I got it in fired it up and it smokes like a chimney. So i ripped the keihin carb off and looked at the jet its a 155. Well i didn't have any jets so I figured what the hell I could put the stock carb on. So I put the stock carb on with a 230 jet and it runs like a rapped ape but has a slight haze coming out the pipe. I dont want to blow the motor up cause its running lean so i stopped. NOW my question is should I just jet the stock carb up to a 250 or 260 jet. Or lean out the keihin. I am thinking that the keihin is real rich because of the altitude differance.He lived in arizona I live in fl. I am not going to use the bike for racing I just wanted to have the extra power. Please help.... Thank you,
alex

put the 240 in leave the keihin flat side carb in and do spark plug chops to find the right jet, remove the airbox get an aftermarket filter, if you are on a budget get a ready filter they are fairley cheap.

155 main jet on a blaster is way small that could be why you blew the stock motor up. bump the main jet up to a 270 an see what the plug reads. You can run the stock carb on the blaster with bigger jets you just wont get as much out of it as you could with a 34mm aftermarket carb.

The stock carb will work on the 240, just not reccomended. The 155 main in the keihin carb should have been close.

where are the best places to get an aftermarket carb?

where are the best places to get an aftermarket carb?

Please try not to steal someone elses thread topic even though its very tempting. I:I do a search and if you still cant find the answer post a new thread for yourself.

dont worry not a big deal :-D

I So I installed the motor and was wanting to know if it is ok to use the stock airbox. I was thinking about taking the lid off and buying a couple of the little airbox vents that you drill and install on the side of the box. Well I got it in fired it up and it smokes like a chimney. So i ripped the keihin carb off and looked at the jet its a 155. but has a slight haze coming out the pipe. NOW my question is should I just jet the stock carb up to a 250 or 260 jet. Or lean out the keihin. I am thinking that the keihin is real rich because of the altitude differance.

Its ok to use the stock airbox -- but your not getting the most out of the 240 that way.

Its ok to take the lid off - - if your not running the thing in muddy, wet, dusty, sandy conditions. If you do use an outerwear air filter cover.

Instead buy an aftermarket air filter, K&N or Uni will be the most reccomended by many. Then cut the holes and do vents in the top of the air box lid not the sides of the airbox.

When you say light haze from the pipe, where? out the rear end?

Dont bother with the stock carb anymore, dial in your Keihin. Whats in your keihin other than that main jet? like the needle and your piolet jet. what positions are your air/mixture screw at?

And if there was a bid difference in altitude then yes that will change the lean/rich behaviors.

well damn you guys really like to help out... THank you.. Ok well On the way home for work today I got a 250 jet for the stock carb to see if that will richen it up just a bit. As I expected the bike is working great I rode it for about 5-10 mins. just to see what it would do. I want to put the keihen carb on since it is a hell of alot bigger and see how much more power this beast got in it. THis 240 is nasty man, I was cruising in 3rd stab it and it just came right up grab 4th punched it again did the same thing... Damn what a ride. Well the plug looks fine and the smoke coming out of the back of the dg silencer is perfect. Now you guys are saying I should get a uni or a k&n filter I really want to but I have this fear of hydrolocking the engine I have done that before and it sux reall really bad. I think I am going to stay with the stock air box. WHat is the best flowing filter I can use in the airbox a K&N? I am going to do as you say and put the little filters in the top of the air box. I guess as far as taking the lid off, no because I ride at Croom motorcycle area and you never no what kind of conditions your going to come across because it has it all. I will purchase some smaller jets for the keihen carb this weekend and see if that carb will work better. I will probably drop down to a 140 and then go from there. I really appreciate all your help... THank you once again,
Alex