1997 cr 125

blaster99

Dec 10, 2008
East Stroudsburg ,PA
so im gettin a 97 cr 127 clean as an 07,its been rebuilt recently nd is nice,but whats a nikasil plated cylinder,and whats this i cant find a piston .30 over for it any help

so im gettin a 97 cr 127 clean as an 07,its been rebuilt recently nd is nice,but whats a nikasil plated cylinder,and whats this i cant find a piston .30 over for it any help

A nikasil cylinder means that the inside of the cylinder is coated with nikisil or chrome lined. If the lining gets chipped or wears off, it needs to be replaced to keep the bike running good

A nikasil plated cylinder can't be bored. You have to get it replated. I had a 97 cr125 and it blew up so I bought a sleeve for it and got it pressed in so I could bore it the next time it blew up.

A Nikasil plated cylinder is pretty tough but also it does get scratched and when it gets bad enough you got to get it replated. I think it does have to be honed to match your piston but im not totally sure on that.

To give you an idea of what it costs. I bought a blown up '01 cr125 and had to get the cylinder fixed. The guy that I got it from cold seized it. To fix the cylinder, gaskets and new piston cost me just under $250. Its not a big deal if you have to get your cylinder replated.

To give you an idea of what it costs. I bought a blown up '01 cr125 and had to get the cylinder fixed. The guy that I got it from cold seized it. To fix the cylinder, gaskets and new piston cost me just under $250. Its not a big deal if you have to get your cylinder replated.

thats pretty good,how hard is a top end,with the power valve and everything

It's still really easy, the only thing different you really have to do is disconnect the PV linkage. I just did the top end on my RM80 that has power valves. Piece of cake.