1995 yamaha blaster restoration.

Dustin Z

Jan 20, 2015
Well I bought my blaster about a month ago for 450 bucks. The usual slop in the front and rear. Plastics and paint were messed up, Has fmf pip and I was told it was bored .020 over with a full wiseco rebuild with low hours. also was told it had timing advanced and lightweight flywheel.

Well my transmission is messing up in 2nd and 3rd after pulling a buddy to pop start his bike. I tore it down and the piston has wear on one side. There is one gear in the transmission that is gone. its in the bottom of the case in about 100 pieces. I'll post pics when I can figure out how to get the pics off my phone onto the computer.

image.jpg

what would cause that? and thanks im painting the frame and some other parts. rebuilding the engine and putting a used transmission in. doing the suspension(new bushings carrier bearing) just making it solid and reliable. also making it look nice. may get new plastics i will keep you guys updated.

Would it be possible to get a pic of the crown of the piston.

Was there a lot of crap in the header pipe?

I could be wrong, but to me this looks like the trouble may have started from insufficient warm up.

It shows signs of a cold pinch/sieze!

image.jpg

Last edited:
image.jpg
My piston looked the same when I bought it. Has it ever been rebuilt prior? Maybe clearance issue? Or a leaky exhaust sucking in debris.

Whats intake side of piston look like? Looks like insufficient oil, and or oil breakdown if it was pre mix, in proper warm up, or in proper engine break in.

Last edited:
I'll take pics of intake side later I'm at work. The exaust wasn't loose and there wasn't anything inside it. What would've caused my transmission to blow that gear up?

well i ended up with a hot rods crank. wiseco piston and fresh cylinder for 300 all new, piston and cylinder match. all yamaha case gasket and cometic head and jug gasket. new yamaha bolts and then i went back and got a 2003 frame and a TON of parts for another 300. so much stuff i need help sorting. i know i have a banshee rear axle. banshee steering stabilizer rear hubs and rear wheels. the rest is blaster. hydraulic brakes new wheel bearings and axle bearings in packages. 3 stock exhaust. a couple cases a transmission. ill post everything tomorrow. i believe its a 6 speed transmission i want to put it in the engine i'm building and slap iton the 95 for now.