1995 Blaster piston slap? or somthing else

i know this post is old but if anyone was curious i rebuilt the top end. went 60 over stock and went to fire it up for the first heat cycle and still had the crazy grinding scraping noise. so i started thinkin bottom end needs rebuilt. crank or connecting rod bad or bad bearings. i took off the cover for the flywheel to see if i could move the flywheel up and down to see if crank bearing was bad but the damn flywheel fell off into my hand. SHEARED THE DAMN WOODRUFF KEY again. i dont have the tool to tighted the flywheel properly. before i used a shirt and jammed it in there until it wouldnt spin anymore and tighten it down. im buying the tool tommorrow and starting it up!

You certainly need to lap that flywheel if it keeps spinning.

Lapping the flywheel consists of putting some fine valve grinding paste on the taper of the crankshaft, placing the flywheel on, ( without the key), and revolving the flywheel back and forth.

When the flywheel turns more freely as the paste gets broken up, take off the flywheel, wipe out the used paste and inspect.

The grooves should now be flattened out.

If there are still grooves, repeat the operation until good mating surfaces are made.

Be sure to wash off all, and I mean all of the grinding paste.

I like to finalise by using a Duco cutting compound No 3 for the final lap.

Tension the nut to 53 ft lbs, do not use Loctite, it is not the nut that holds it on, it is the pressure applied to the tapers.

Make sure that you have the washer under the nut.

thanks blaaster,

highly noted. i will give this a try

the tool needed (flywheel holder) to do the job is in the mail will b here thursday. then i can be positive to get it to 53 lbs. i just realized i missed all spring and most of summer due to this flywheel key. made the worse grinding sound. i was positive the bottom end was about due. maybe this winter.