04 blaster wont rev on brand new rebuild

Cisco93lude

May 14, 2008
Ok guys, here's where I'm at...I had a bottom end rebuilt by someone who is reputable so I had a good base to start with. The top end I have a ported jub which was bored to .050 I believe (also from a reputable machine shop). The shop ordered me a Namura piston and a new bearings and a cometic gasket.

I went through Ken O'Conners rebuild instructions as well as going alot of research before hand on here too. so Im 99% sure everything went together as it should. cleaned jug, oiled rings, torqued, the whole 9. got the engine in the bike and started going to town wiring it up and removing TORS and the e-brake.
The oil is blocked off correctly and so is the carb. using Klots super techniplate 32:1 premix w/93 and belray gear saver 80w in the bottom.

Kicked over second kick with the choke on. and IT WONT REV UP! I have only run it maybe a total of 3 min total. between trying new things. It sort of stays running but wont go past like 20-30% power. just bogs.

I have already made sure the gas is flowing out of the tank, filling up the carb, etc.

The carb has been cleaned by me a few times and it has a 230 main jet in it now.

I have been working on it for the past 2 months here n there. (It's actually for a friend as I have a Warrior 366 I:I.

Could it be weak spark? or a bad stator? or does it sound like lean fuel? possibly carb issues? also for e-brake switch I just unplugged it. Im not sure if 03+ u need to splice them together or not??
Any help would be huge! much appreciated. I've been sweating for weeks building this thing and now this!
I will post a video if i can later showing its symptoms. and also the ground points..maybe someone can help, could be a bad ground?

**Background on the bike**
The bike started out as a roller with a box of parts. The previous owner blew the top end and messed up the bottom end and cases too. I got a parts bottom end and a head but no jug. flywheel and stator were removed and in the box. along with the carb and everything else but the suspension and wiring. He had painted the frame from a beautiful SE anodized red to a graphite color. X(

Here's some pics of when we picked it up

How it sits now w the new engine!

Last edited:
I made a leak tester for a friend a while ago and it was leaking from the tester very slowly. But I sprayed all around and saw no leaks. The pressure held well for a few minutes around 5-6psi even with the the small leak in the tester.

The 03+ blasters do require one or more of the wires to be spliced and connected if I remember correctly, I know its not as simple as just unplugging the TORS like the 02 and older blasters. There is a diy on here for TORS removal on 03+ blasters. If that is not where the problem is than I'd say it sounds like you have a problem with the reeds, pull your carb and check that the reed petals are sealing properly, laying flat and that there are no cracks or chips in them ! My first thought would be reeds, but after hearing your uncertainty with the 03+ TORS removal that could be a strong possibility as well !

I did follow the 03+ tors removal. I spliced the wires in the main harness together on each end (throttle and carb). I was uncertain about the emergency brake removal. Weather or not that needed splicing.

Sorry my mistake between the two, does it sputter and want to stall when you give it gas ? If so then there's a very good chance its your reeds ! I had the same problem a while back, turns out it was my reed petals that were causing the problem ...

The reeds look ok. They are vitos dual stage carbon reeds but they were sitting out of the bike for a few months. In my back seat rolling around a bit so maybe they were damaged in the mean time. I just don't want to be chasing all different problems and throwing all sorts of money at this if I don't have to.

I cut the wires off the tors system and wired them together tho. Idk what else to do. Does anything have to be done on the carb side? Splicing the wires on the pigtails coming off it?

No need to splice the wires from the carby.

I know this may seem like a stupid question, but it has been known to cause the problems you are experiencing.

Are you positive that the piston was installed the correct way?

Remove the reeds and look to see if the piston windows are visable.

Ya I've seen videos of other people's blasters w tors issues doing the same but idk what else to do. I cut the wires in the main harness and have them twisted together. Could the Cdi be bad?

I did check the piston window when I took the reed cage off.

Major possibility that the CDI is bad, and distressingly there is no way to test it.

Are you able to borrow a known working used one?

So I just bought a complete electrical system off ebay from a running 03 blaster so I'm gonna hopefully get it this weekend and see what's up. Came w stator, flywheel, coil, Cdi and wiring harness! 113$ not bad.