yz250 engine

T

tomi_csaszar

hey, this is my first post. so far ive been more of a reader.

i have a 1990 blaster, and my engine is pretty f*cked. it has a brand new top end bored .50 over but my cases are cracked, clutch is done, and has transmission problems. ive decided no matter how much money i put into that engine to fix it, it will still be....just a blaster engine.

after some research and reading a few threads on engine swaps im seriously thinking about doing a yz250 engine swap.
i checked ebay and my price range is about $1000 plus shipping on a 2001 yz250 with all electical, carb, kickstarter etc. ready to roll.

the reson im going with the yz250 is because its small so it will fit nicely, water cooled so i wont have as many heating issues, and has some mad balls at 56hp stockI:I

i understand its not an overnight process, i will have to reweld the mounts, cut the swing arm and find and fit in a corect size radiator, fit a pipe etc. after that its smooth sailing...well smoother anyways.

im also planning on extending my swingarm (in the machine shop), and wider a-arms/axle then all the add on that i will eventually need. but obvously my main focus is the engine.

any info, sugestions, pics or anything that could help would be very much apreciated,

thanks for your time

I've built a DT200R motor with perhaps 40HP in my Blaster, and I think it's the perfect choiceI:I ! 56HP will be very much and the yz250 engine will need much parts and work and is only for race. 10-15 Hours and you must change the piston rings and perhaps the piston also! My dude rids one for MX, the bike is great, but it's a expensive bike!
The DT engine will run 10000s of KM without repairing ( I hope so B-) ).

yea but it would be hard to get my hands on a DT200 engine, i even checked my local dealer since i couldnt find one. complete watercooled dt top end would run me about $700+ just for the cylinder, head, piston and rings

yea i know about the rebuilds, im just hoping i will be able to notice its time for a new top end before i would blow the engine.

just to clarify for me,what if you dont race the YZ motor and just normal person ride...must it still be rebuild after 15 hours? r can it run for a while before the rebuild if its not beat to death

yeah........ i can only see it being rebuilt every 15 hours if its all out race with a bunch of other crap done to it. but for someone just playin around, once a year if that i would say.

no i guess every 15 hours would be driving the sh*t out of it with mods.... my friend drove his 2005 cr85 reving the sh*t out it for almost 2 years before he put on a new ring....still started and drove fine, only the powerband wasnt nearly as strong.
and his piston ring was broken and it still ran