yz125 cdi

tjsdaname

Oct 17, 2007
IA
what is the benefit of a YZ 125 cdi, will it help performance?, will it be easy to install?

thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
uh, randelator, i have a problem. i got a yz125 cdi from off of a 1998 bike that supposedly ran and was just being parted out, and plugged it in the blaster, and it wouldn't even start. Thought maybe the connections were dirty so i tried cleaning them but to no avail. i guess the cdi could be bad, but have any ideas as to something else that could be wrong? blaster works fine with my stock cdi. you know what year yz125 cdi you have?

Last edited by a moderator:
i have no ground wire. it just plugs right into the harness. i took it out to the garage again an tried cleaning the contacts on the yz125 cdi really well, and pulled the plug, it won't even make spark. any suggestions?

pics

here is a 93 yz 125 cdi. is this what yours looks like? the second looks like the cdi i bought. on the 93, what do you do with those other 3 plugs? i guess one is the ground, but what about the other 2?

Ok i did some research and i found out someone who makes um for the blaster.Its called Hot Shot Series CDI unit.It cost around 40.But its says it only works for upto the year 1999 .Has anybody tried this mode on an 2006 model blaster?
Well i called them an they are checking to see if it will work on an 2006 model.I think some else said they put the YZ 125 one on an 2003.Maybe it will work..

Last edited:
yes its an oem replacement CDI.They said it wouldnt work on a 2006.Its listed as working on 98 to 2000 models but i have seen a review where it worked on an 95 blaster.Heres the place ricksmotorsportelectrics

Im wondering if the CDI box is in the same place in the 2006 as in the 2000 models.Its cold outside and i havent looked yet..i might buy one to see if it will work on mine

I dont see why it only works on 98-2000. Nothing changed from 88-02. Different location is all i can think of. I have a 2000 blaster and an 03, ill check tomorrow.

im pretty sure the cdis are diffrenet, but idk why the cdi woudl only be for 98-00 when there was no change