Yamaha blaster front shock help

FLY

Aug 5, 2015
Orlando, FL.
traphousestudios.tk
Anybody have a spring/coil compressor that will work to take off the springs from a Yamaha blaster shock or possibly know where I can get one? Ive bought two already one from auto zone and another from harbor freight and neither will work. They are too big and wont fit in between the gaps of the spring to compress it... Anybody have any ideas?

I looked on eBay and the ones that look like they possibly might work are around $75-100 but I can get a whole set of shocks for cheaper...

^^^ Ratchet straps do work but be careful. Don't use just 1, use at least 2 maybe 3 per spring.. ? Do a couple cranks per strap back n forth to try and stay even..

So instead of wasting $75 bucks on the tool I did a little research on google and found this method. It worked like a charm. It helps to have a buddy with you for an extra pair of hands.

image.jpg

(This is the tool)

image.jpg

(This is the method I used)

I had to take off the little circle piece on top of the jack that's held on by two little clips. Remove the bar and slide the shock on and put back the clip for support. Also try and hook the straps as high as you can on the springs. Hope this helps people who want to clean/paint/powder coat their shocks. I'll post photos in a few days of the finished product.

Why would you never?

Because they're stiff enough to handle a 400 lb rider. OK, maybe not quite, but they're definitely too stiff. Even though a Banshee is a heavier ATV meant for bigger riders, they still have softer shocks than a Blaster.

When you find a good way to dissemble the shocks, please post a video of it.

Ill def post a video of my method. Its a hell of a lot easier. Plus, in YT Otis video, how would you be able to re use those shocks after you've mangled them to pieces? My method is used so you can paint them and re use them... That was my whole point of wanting them off. Mine were in great shape just needed to be painted because the paint was chipped a little bit. Since I am restoring the entire bike, I felt this was a way better route then to buy new ones or a special tool. I just used what I had available around my house.