What size of jet ?

stock carb ?.....
i'd buy 300/290/280
start large and plug chop down to perfection

stock carb ?.....
i'd buy 300/290/280
start large and plug chop down to perfection

/\ /\ /\ x2.

Needle in bottom slot, DMC is a thirsty beast down low.

I would add a #310 to the list you never can tell if the porting will change the flow.

Bottom right, the needle is the blue tapered appendage coming from the slide, yours may be gold or silver colour.

I fail to find a pic of the clip settings.

i'm on the hunt to find a definative needle jetting only article.
but until then, here's some pics.....

Carb-Tuning-9.jpg

/\ the clip can be moved up/down the grooves to change the mid range jetting leaner/richer.
while holding your thumb on the clip to keep it from taking an inter-planetary flight across the room :eek:
push the open end of it down against a hard surface while gently rolling it so it pops off its groove.
reverse the process to reinstall it.

move the clip up to lean the circut, and down to richen it.
up lowers the needle taper into the needle jet allowing less fuel.
down raises the needle allowing more fuel.
needle.gif

i've run blasters with the stock carb in all states of tune ... with a stock pipe, 4-5 different right bend pipes, and now a toomey.
none required anything but the stock needle on the middle clip setting, and the stock 32.5 pilot,
for my 1800-2400' elevation.
your results may vary.

you can fry your piston from a lean needle setting, as most riding occurs at 1/4 to 3/4 throttle on the needle/jet circut
and it is possible to plug chop the needle setting by marking your throttle @ 1/2 - 3/4 throttle and running a plug chop at that throttle position instead of wide open on the main jet.

i'm on the hunt to find a definative needle jetting only article.
but until then, here's some pics.....

Carb-Tuning-9.jpg

/\ the clip can be moved up/down the grooves to change the mid range jetting leaner/richer.
while holding your thumb on the clip to keep it from taking an inter-planetary flight across the room :eek:
push the open end of it down against a hard surface while gently rolling it so it pops off its groove.
reverse the process to reinstall it.

move the clip up to lean the circut, and down to richen it.
up lowers the needle taper into the needle jet allowing less fuel.
down raises the needle allowing more fuel.
needle.gif

i've run blasters with the stock carb in all states of tune ... with a stock pipe, 4-5 different right bend pipes, and now a toomey.
none required anything but the stock needle on the middle clip setting, and the stock 32.5 pilot,
for my 1800-2400' elevation.
your results may vary.

you can fry your piston from a lean needle setting, as most riding occurs at 1/4 to 3/4 throttle on the needle/jet circut
and it is possible to plug chop the needle setting by marking your throttle @ 1/2 - 3/4 throttle and running a plug chop at that throttle position instead of wide open on the main jet.

yeah i think i know now thanks :)!

/\ /\ /\ x2.

Needle in bottom slot, DMC is a thirsty beast down low.

I would add a #310 to the list you never can tell if the porting will change the flow.

so are you saying i need to put the clip on the bottom slot ?

so are you saying i need to put the clip on the bottom slot ?

yes, that is his experience with the DMC pipe.
but, he is at/near sea level ?
higher elevations will require leaner jetting....clip in a higher position.
starting at the lowest groove/richest setting is safe, then work the clip up the grooves 1 at a time until it pulls hard, or 1/2 throttle plug chops confirm it is jetted correctly

yes, that is his experience with the DMC pipe.
but, he is at/near sea level ?
higher elevations will require leaner jetting....clip in a higher position.
starting at the lowest groove/richest setting is safe, then work the clip up the grooves 1 at a time until it pulls hard, or 1/2 throttle plug chops confirm it is jetted correctly

aww man, this evaluation stuff has me looped haha, how to i know what evaluation im at is it just like how high up you are from sea level ?

aww man, this evaluation stuff has me looped haha, how to i know what evaluation im at is it just like how high up you are from sea level ?

yes, i'm at 1800 feet above sea level
google......... (your city) elevation.

but really, tuning the carb as described in many threads in the engine/carb section, and doing plug chops will work without knowing what exact elevation you're at.
knowing it just helps us recommend jetting starting points/ranges

I'm at 1000-1100 feet above sealevel. As per Blaaster's recomendations, I did lower the clip for my Dmc pipe. I ended up only dropping it one spot and plug chopped at 1/2 and 3/4 throttle with a load on the motor.

He is right. It is a Very Thirsty in the low end, But an amazing pipe.

Fred