what does it take to keep up w/ the 400s

Maybe so. The one I raced several times got owned but it didn't have full exhaust. I had FMF and owned it by 2-3 quad lengths. And I sucked at shifting then. :)

4 strokes

ive always ridden 2 stroke, i have a yz250 and the blaster and have riddin the yz125. the only 4 stroke i have ridden is a kx 125 4 stroke. everyone is always talking about 4 stroke being so powerfull and torky- my parents wouldnt let me buy the yz450. so the other day my buddy let me ride his brand new outlaw 525-ktm powered, i was very nervois before i got on it. i opened it up all the way and was very unsatisfied, it will beat my blaster, but my 250 would smoke it. 4 pokes still suck. and im only 170 pounds so its not me.

get a full fmf, lrd, f7 exhaust. unior twin air filter no airlid. dyno jet kit, reeds, 14-40 gearing,and like .40-.60 over

i own piped 400s with the mods i have, and im not far behind piped 450s. i acually made one guy mad because i spotted him 2 on his 400ex and still smoked his ass =))

im sorry guys, but my bone stock 400ex rapes my moddes blaster in every way. i own both and both are great bikes in their own way. but in each situation that i ride in, i can ride faster in all conditions on teh 400ex. even in a drag race on a flat surface the blaster doesnt even come close. the only way that blaster would come close to beatign the 400 is if the 400 had some type of problem with jetting, or a worn out engine. when the going gets rough, the stock 400 suspension glides over bumps with ease. the blaster.... well, not so much. my blaster has the sock bore and stroke. the FMF pipe and silencer, vforce reeds, 14/40 gearing and 20 inch kenda klaw tires are not enough to give it any edge on teh 400.

now, for normal everyday riding they are both very capable bikes and can be ridden together over the same terrain without either bike having to stop and wait around for the other. the torque of the 400 is amazing. i can power through just about anything that gets in my way. but in the end, the acceleration and fun factor of the blaster still makes it my favorite of the two bikes. nothing beats the fun of a good 2 stroke motor in its peak HP range.

plus abone stock blaster has like a million resrictive things, that were put there for kids. if you bupass all the bullsh*t on the blaster and set it up good, they do just fine keeping up with a 400, the throttle setup on a stock blaster is all adjustable, open that beast up and get rid of the speed limiter and all those tors and carb switch, there all things that go wrong and slow up the process, get rid of the oil injectin, and mix your gas properly, blasters were designed for beginners and they were made to be able to advance for cheap as the skill of the rider gets better, and the more you build it the faster it gets, but mine beats all kinds of 400s and keeps up with 450s some, and it always has kept up with 400s.

I have a stock Blaster and my brother-in-law has a stock 400ex. I am a little better rider than he is and I can beat him off the line but it doesn't take long for him to catch up (as long as we're going in a streight line). I think over the long haul and with an experienced rider the 400ex will beat the stock Blaster every time but I don't think it would take too much to make it pretty close...pipes, airbox, proper jets.

this summer im gonna open up my ports a bit more and up the psi some more and switch over to alky and annoy the hell outta some 450s, prolly wont beat'em but just highly piss em off lol