Trailibility?

JD3020

Oct 30, 2008
Farmersville, Ohio
Right now im looking at a 87 250x that appears to be in great shape. But its pretty built. Its a 250x bottom end, 300ex top end. Full DG exhaust, bored out to 84mm, stroker kit, 12.5:1 piston, edelbrock carb, biggest cam hypercam makes, all done by a shop. He wants 1000, but he will take 900. The catch though is it runs on race fuel, witch will probably be a pain and isnt really something i want to mess with. He said he isnt sure if it will run on pump gas, but he was told its best to run Turbo Blue. Would i be able to run the highest octane pump gas with it, or would i have to run race fuel? And would it be fairly reliable being built up? Im really liking it, but i dont want to mess to much with race fuel and not being that reliable.

if it only requires like 100 octane maybe 93 and some octane boost i know we do it with snowmobiles

Would i be able to maybe mess with the timing or something with it so it can run on lower octane fuel? Im going to see if he has any stock motor parts and what octane it needs.

There is also a 250x or 300ex, just says 250x/300ex, complete top end for 200 bucks, and a extra 250x piston and cylinder for 30. I could always go that route. I dont think dad will let me get it and set it up to run pump gas. But who knows.

Do you guys think that if i just got a lower comp piston for it, then the cam and pipe and all would still work and make it able to run on pump gas? And how difficult would it be to put in a new piston? Im just trying to get an idea of what all i could do to convert back to pump gas.

Depending on that ive found a nice 1995 300ex with reverse, work front shocks, and some other stuff for a few hundred more then this 250x/300ex.

yea,im 80% sure if you put another psiton and remove that high comp psiton then youll run 93 octane, since what affects the octane is the compression

I typed the wrong thing, its bored out to 80mm and is built to be race legal. I think ill wait a day or two more to see what all i can find out before i decide if i want to look at it or not.

it should run fine on premium gas with either methonal or octane booster since its only about 12.5:1. if it were a 2 stroke then you would have to run race gas but since its a 4 you dont really need to run race gas till about 13.5:1 or 14:1. but is it a good idea to run just to be on the safe side yes. i hope all this makes sense.