This normal?

Budget_Blaster

Dec 25, 2009
Illinois
I was riding the shee yesterday and noticed in first gear when i got on it that it felt like it down shifted.

I cant tell if thats the powerband coming on so quickly since its in first gear but it doesnt do it in any other gear what could it be?

Carbs are synced per the manual,engine has 125psi in both cylinders,jettings on at 280 main,27.5 pilots,a/f screw 1.5 turns,stock needles middle clips.its not bogging or popping and runs flawless but the best way i can describe it in first gear is if you floored your car almost like a passing gear then it takes off sound like the power band and just the nature of the beast?

ive went over this bike with a fine tooth comb and cant find anything out of place or not in spec everything is perfect.

i dont know what your talkin about exactly.. is it just spinning the tires?

Idk actually.

The only way i can explain it is with it being equal to a passing gear on a car you know youre cruising at say 55 then mash it and the car jerks as it downshifts and takes off?It feels the same way but its in first gear.

Trust me bro its got me a bit baffled too ive spent two days trying to google what im describing and cant seem to find one remotely close issue.

I figured it was because 1st is a stout gear and the rpms build quicker therefore getting in to the powerband sooner i dont really know how to explain it.But it doesnt do it in second-six.

Wonder if its a little clutch slipping.

It is a new clutch...I considered this but wasnt sure.Especially since it only does it after its been cooled down im assuming the oil could be thickening back up?Idk what do you think?

Will that go away or am i in for a new clutch?

Ive got maybe 3 tanks of fuel on it riding now.

What do you mean awk?

Its adjusted per the manual and the clutch lever lines up with the cast on the case and the cable is adjusted right so idk???

im guessing if its acting like this itll be going bad soon?

It seems like its slipping then as the revs increase for whatever reason it grabs and when it does it makes the jerking or downshifting feeling i get?

So if its going bad that sucks ass but what are the warranties on tusk clutches?Will this go away when it gets fully broke in?Ive not rode anything but roads and field acess grassy roads not even corn fields yet so ive not been hard on this clutch.All the adjustments are up to spec according to the manual.I just put one of these tusk kits in my brothers blaster and he beats the piss outta his and did so the day i put it in and its still holding up so i figured id go with one on the shee.

I soaked these in amsoil full synthetic 10w40 motorcycle oil same stuff thats in the case now and they sat in the oil for 3 days until i had time to put them in.

Idk im out of ideas what you guys think keep riding it easy breaking it in or is this clutch on its way out if its slipping already?

I agree sounds like clutch, maybe ya have a couple sticking togther, Did you replace the steels too?

I agree sounds like clutch, maybe ya have a couple sticking togther, Did you replace the steels too?

Did the whole kit bro!

Steels fibers and springs.

Whats the break in time and procedure on a new clutch because like i said ive not even began to abuse this clutch.Hell im still breaking the engine in.

I also just got the tusk HD clutch kit, for the blaster. I ran the driveline in my sons and loved it, but didn't have the $60 to get it this time. I don't know of any "break in" as soon as i did my heat cycles and break ins, took it a little easy the first tank , then ripped it up!

Did the whole kit bro!

Steels fibers and springs.

Whats the break in time and procedure on a new clutch because like i said ive not even began to abuse this clutch. Hell im still breaking the engine in.

That's weird, it has to just need adjusted then. If it's all new I can't see it being worm out plates then. Go over the adjustment again, I'm not sure if the shee's are the same as a blaster... Then after you adjust the "internal screw" where the pushrods are at and align the arrows, again if it has them.
Then adjust the free play at the lever. has to be one of them, or maybe you have gotten a bad clutch kit?

Went over the adjustments tonight and all is well.The tab on the clutch lever arm has an arrow like the blaster that has to line up with the arrow on the case theyre there.

The clutch lever and cable has the slack adjusted out as well.

When it happens im not on the clutch so id think it should be fully engaged and grabbin any time the levers not pulled.Idk bro its a little irritating.You know what type of warranty tusk carries by chance?I cant seem to find it anywhere.

Any reason why it would have this dead spot and what do i do to tune it out?

If you get it nice and hot it dont do it but say i ride then shut it off for say 1/2 hr and fire it up and take off it will do it.im lost any ideas or suggestions?

99% of the time a slipping/worn clutch will present itself in the higher gears. 4th-6th before it is is noticed in the lower gears. hope you can get it figured out.