So I did a compression check...found a "problem"

99LRDblaster

Jan 25, 2011
Delphos/Columbus, Ohio
First off, if you haven't seen my posts before, I've had some odd issues with the way my Blaster runs and even with all the motor work I've had done, it can't beat a 400ex in a drag...just to give you an idea of the power. Now, I originally had my porting and head work done by Marc Cross at Hollywood Dirt. He did a great job and I requested my head be milled 0.030 off......I even mic'ed it and that's what it was when I got it back.

Anyways, through 1-3 gears it pulls well, but then slowly tapers off through 4-6....yes natural I know, but more so than normal. Jetting is fine. So I theorized that the 30mm carb was too small and it is in a lot of respects, but I wouldn't have thought THAT much so. So I purchased a 35mm carb to put on it and give it a whirl. Before switching over, I want to do a leakdown test and compression test to see where I'm at. I lost my old compression tester so I bought a new one and got it in the mail today. I just went out and did the compression test on my Blaster.......found out really great news.....I definitely don't need a rebuild.....but also found out some rather alarming news.....I'm running at 175psi while running 93 octane. :-/ If the head was milled to spec, how is this happening? Can I squeak by with 93?....I really didn't want to run higher octane race fuel as it's a biotch to come by. I thought maybe carbon deposits on the piston, so I took a flashlight to the piston through the plug hole.....not spic and span clean on the surface, but nothing out of norm and there are no significant carbon deposits. This sh*t is confusing. :-/

You need higher octane for that much compression. You know higher compression hurts over rev power too right?

Try to get another tester to test with to see if that's right.

You need higher octane for that much compression. You know higher compression hurts over rev power too right?

Try to get another tester to test with to see if that's right.

Yea I know. :(

I get the feeling it's right. The readings were all consistent and my old comp tester was taking a sh*t on me before that ran off to wherever and kicking it over is kind of a biotch. I just bought a brand new Actron tester on Amazon.

I mean I know it's a "good" thing to have such high compression, but I really don't feel like dealing with the pain in the ass hassle of dealing with race gas. Some people talk about Sunoco gas stations........I've never seen a Sunoco gas station in my entire life in the state of Ohio. That leaves me with nowhere to get it from and/or getting raped by the dealers......assuming they even carry it which I don't remember seeing any from memory.

Last edited:
Porting usually lowers the compression on an engine too.

Marc gave me his most aggressive trail/MX port. I had the head rechambered. Work he did is top notch and a work of beauty. I'd love to take pics of it and show you it, but I don't feel like paying for a top end gasket set just to show you. :D When I do the leakdown test, if I find any leaks in the top end that need me to get top end gaskets, I'll take a whole bunch of pics. His work is/was one of a kind in the Blaster world.

Where can I pick up higher octane gas at? I'm guessing running like a 50/50 mix to cut down on cost? 75/25? I've worked with racing gas in cars, but don't deal with mixtures and have no clue where to get it for atvs. I've just seen VP fuel but nowhere to buy it for a decent price. I don't think I need a huge increase....just something around the 98ish range....guessing.

Where can I pick up higher octane gas at? I'm guessing running like a 50/50 mix to cut down on cost? 75/25? I've worked with racing gas in cars, but don't deal with mixtures and have no clue where to get it for atvs. I've just seen VP fuel but nowhere to buy it for a decent price. I don't think I need a huge increase....just something around the 98ish range....guessing.

i know you can get whatever octane you want at iron pony in columbus. its sold in big cans. but its expensive as sh*t. like $75 for 5 gallons of c112 i think. but here in marysville there is a certified gas station that sells cam2. its either 106 or 110, i cant really remember

Its likely Marcs port work.. I used to be a moderator for his site years ago along with criminalpoet etc. At one time I was actually talking with him about opening a branch of his shop here in Canada. That was until we did some testing. A fellow member at BHQ bought a cylinder and head from him and compared specs to several other companies... marcs fancy swirl MX port work put out the least amount of power.. even compared to a stock cylinder with spacer plate mod and simple head milled (not rechambered)... I confronted him about his claims as well as several others that actually ran his engines against others. I left before he started ripping people off but for a long time CP customs, Myself and a KB offered to put up our engines to his and he declined everytime.

Sorry I know it looks fancy and shiny but his actual specs were sh*t.

All that compression and huge smooth ports with turbulant fuel metering and restrictions cost you power. His engines just do not run and perform efficiently compared to many others.

Well you're not going to get 175 psi of compression from "swirling" so there has to be more going on in there than just that.

Can you hear the detonation at higher heat levels? It would sound like rabid squirrel with a hammer inside your engine. You would know it if it were knocking. If it is, then you need to find higher octane fuel...

Source a float needle that can handle alcohol. You can rejet for the decrease in fuel energy density and buy E85 for about $.20 a gallon less than premium fuel. Mix the E85 and premium 50/50. You'll be looking at ABOUT 98 octane then.

Its likely Marcs port work.. I used to be a moderator for his site years ago along with criminalpoet etc. At one time I was actually talking with him about opening a branch of his shop here in Canada. That was until we did some testing. A fellow member at BHQ bought a cylinder and head from him and compared specs to several other companies... marcs fancy swirl MX port work put out the least amount of power.. even compared to a stock cylinder with spacer plate mod and simple head milled (not rechambered)... I confronted him about his claims as well as several others that actually ran his engines against others. I left before he started ripping people off but for a long time CP customs, Myself and a KB offered to put up our engines to his and he declined everytime.

Sorry I know it looks fancy and shiny but his actual specs were sh*t.

All that compression and huge smooth ports with turbulant fuel metering and restrictions cost you power. His engines just do not run and perform efficiently compared to many others.

This sounds like an old school CP vs HWD war on BHQ. :D

I heard about that test that was carried out, but I also heard somebody else do the same thing with CPs work too sooooo I'm still up in the air about it. All I know is his stock ported Blasters with that same engine work won numerous grand national races, including beating Dustin Wimmer when he was racing in it. :-/ I will say the one guy over on BHQ and Bluetraxx was an epic homer of Marc's though....can't remember his name....might have been criminalpoet...can't remember so many years back.

i'd spend the loot for a head gasket, or anneal that one, and throw a stock head on just to see the difference, a head and gasket is way cheaper than having to run race fuel forever

Well you're not going to get 175 psi of compression from "swirling" so there has to be more going on in there than just that.

Can you hear the detonation at higher heat levels? It would sound like rabid squirrel with a hammer inside your engine. You would know it if it were knocking. If it is, then you need to find higher octane fuel...

Source a float needle that can handle alcohol. You can rejet for the decrease in fuel energy density and buy E85 for about $.20 a gallon less than premium fuel. Mix the E85 and premium 50/50. You'll be looking at ABOUT 98 octane then.

It hasn't run out in the country actively in years since I was at college. I never really run it THAT hard to get it so hot, but yea it does seem like it's knocking. I was just presuming it was extra sound vibration from taking the rubber fin mounts out of the head/cylinder, but doesn't look to be the case now. Hell.....I don't even know if I can readily find E85 in my area......which is pathetic. If I was back in Columbus right now it wouldn't be an issue, but the quad is in my hometown which is semi-rural.

This sounds like an old school CP vs HWD war on BHQ. :D

I heard about that test that was carried out, but I also heard somebody else do the same thing with CPs work too sooooo I'm still up in the air about it. All I know is his stock ported Blasters with that same engine work won numerous grand national races, including beating Dustin Wimmer when he was racing in it. :-/ I will say the one guy over on BHQ and Bluetraxx was an epic homer of Marc's though....can't remember his name....might have been criminalpoet...can't remember so many years back.

Doug Jobson was the guy that bought and tested CPs work I beleieve his name was Blasterdad or something like that. I have the cylinder that he used... What he did was... bought one of CP's DRAG cylinders designed for 3mm stroker ran it with a 17cc head (stock squish) from his Nacs engine and a LRD pipe. yeah it was gutless and both Marcs, KB's, Nacs and my own were far more powerful. but again this was a stroker DRAG cylinder.
A kid named Danny from Ohio was one of the guys that was running Marcs engine in the nationals and doing very well. Although Marc did all the port work on that engine, it did not have the swirl ports, head or carb... It was just a standard agressive port job, one of his first and best. I had a couple ported bottom ends with custom welded balanced cranks and lightened CB shafts and flywheels that I was going to sell him. I met him via allthings moto after Marc ended up steeling both of his engines

Doug Jobson was the guy that bought and tested CPs work I beleieve his name was Blasterdad or something like that. I have the cylinder that he used... What he did was... bought one of CP's DRAG cylinders designed for 3mm stroker ran it with a 17cc head (stock squish) from his Nacs engine and a LRD pipe. yeah it was gutless and both Marcs, KB's, Nacs and my own were far more powerful. but again this was a stroker DRAG cylinder.
A kid named Danny from Ohio was one of the guys that was running Marcs engine in the nationals and doing very well. Although Marc did all the port work on that engine, it did not have the swirl ports, head or carb... It was just a standard agressive port job, one of his first and best. I had a couple ported bottom ends with custom welded balanced cranks and lightened CB shafts and flywheels that I was going to sell him. I met him via allthings moto after Marc ended up steeling both of his engines

You sure it was Marc and not the other guy he had as a business partner? Like I said, I went off to college, so HWD was thriving and all of his customers were happy just like customers are all happy with Ken's work here right now back then....I ended up getting out of it while I was in college.....came back and saw HWD was no longer around. After some research, I heard about 30 different things had happened, but mainly that Marc had a sour deal with his business partner who was doing shady stuff(like stealing) behind his back and Marc had a divorce so he closed his shop. I spoke with Marc quite a few times and he always seemed like a real class act....he went above and beyond in customer service to help me with anything and everything. I probably spoke with him for a good 3-4 hours via the phone and even mentioned going out riding with everybody at Malvern with the Blasters and the 125 bikes he was porting.

I'm not really in a position to say I guess since all of it went down after I got out of it. Hell when I decided to hold on to the Blaster for a while and look stuff up I went over to Bluetraxx and it was ghost town and then typed in BlasterHQ and it didn't exist. I was majorly :-/ . I had to do a google search to find Blasterforum. I:I

that sucks i got a stock head chillaxing in my garage doing nuffin if ya want it pm me

I might be interested. I'm going to play with the setup and see what the availability of high octane gas is around my area.......that sh*t is a biotch and a half to come by. I just spent the past 3 hours looking for places/stations that might carry it.....so far, I haven't found any in a 50 mile radius. :(

so nobody was able to get a location on this crook after all that ????
"swirling" ha ?????
i thought that was sumthin ya did with your tongue to the 'ol lady, not cylinder ports,
sounds like a scam job to me

I might be interested. I'm going to play with the setup and see what the availability of high octane gas is around my area.......that sh*t is a biotch and a half to come by. I just spent the past 3 hours looking for places/stations that might carry it.....so far, I haven't found any in a 50 mile radius. :(

well that just sucks just let me know if ya want it or dont i need some chedda for a few things il give ya a good price on it cause im cool like that B)