skid plates for rear axle

reagor

May 23, 2012
nj
www.google.com
so awks mountain ate my alum skidplate

i was thinking about hacking together one that was a lil more robust and i got to thinking that maybe the fact it was alum was on purpose. not for weight savings but as a sacrificial layer, designed to break before it hurts the swingarm. any input BF before i go make something work? is the alum a weakest link on purpose or just for weight savings

i had half a mind to just weld some plate steel to a stock skid

so whatchall think?

im not really an airborn kinda guy so weight isnt an issue

you just know what i'm gonna say....the heavier the better !
i forgot to show you my bone pile of destroyed stock skids beside the garage, think i'm gonna try beefing one up with welded on plate before i go all out on a built from scratch 3/16" steel
bronco79 runs a stocker with stainless plates welded on, it's survived 2 trips here
and if whatever we do ends up heavier, it's in the right place......over the rear wheels for added traction

haha i forgot about the traction angle...i know i got some lead here somewhere

i was thinking of adding a little lead to your bike myself...to slow you down a little, I:I

Get a stock skidplate and weld some plate to it..

I have 1/8 stainless plate welded to my skidplate.. If you weld 3/16 steel plate to a skidplate it my hold up better..

After awks mountain VVVVVV
100_6992.jpg

Before awks mountain VVVVV
s11.jpg

This is the 1/8 stainless skidplate that i made for the 4 1/2 swingarm extension that i had.. The pic was taken after Awks Wild Ride 2..
013.jpg

i think thats the route im gonna go, i have a stock skid & a welder

i got some plate laying around as well but its thick and a bear to bend (hammer and vice here i come)