re-valving shocks?

zmaro

Dec 7, 2010
MN
how much would it cost on work dual rates, or is there anyway to do it yourself?
Thanks

i think works charges like $40 a piece to re-work their shocks, check the website
worksperformance.com

that sounds about right. this is one of those jobs that's better left to the pros unless you are prepared to do it a couple times to learn how it all works

check the suspension forum..phragle posted a thread on how to service rebuildable shocks...im pretty sure its stickied, just to lazy to look lol

Big difference in service & revalve. I've been messing around inside my works shocks with the shims, springs, hole sizes, oil viscosity & such for a long time and finally bought some yfz 's. Unless you're a glutton for punishment send them to Works, they have the parts & formulas to set you up.

Unless an admin did it recently, it's not stickied but it is very helpful for working on the showa style shocks (400EX 450R or 250R shocks).

I tore into my 400EX shock when I got it. I like playing with pretty much everything I bolt onto anything... if it's not what I want, I'll frick with it til it is what I want or broken beyond all repair.

If the works aren't what you want; go playing, take a bunch of pictures, document your steps very well, post it up so everything one can see it!

maybe i'll take some pics, i've got a shock i need to take apart because its seeping around the threads for the rezzie hose.

Unless an admin did it recently, it's not stickied but it is very helpful for working on the showa style shocks (400EX 450R or 250R shocks).

I tore into my 400EX shock when I got it. I like playing with pretty much everything I bolt onto anything... if it's not what I want, I'll frick with it til it is what I want or broken beyond all repair.

If the works aren't what you want; go playing, take a bunch of pictures, document your steps very well, post it up so everything one can see it!

Cool if ya have the time, but outside of just changing seals ya have to figure out what ya think ya need to change, how ya think ya can change it, make the mod ya think it needs, assemble & fill with oil, recharge it, install it. ride for awhile to see if it changed or even works at all. Maybe ya managed to make a 1 click adjustment one way or another so ya take it apart & do it again. Not your average guys tinkering. Compression & rebound screws/knobs are nice.

Well the 400EX rear shock does have adjustment screws and that does help. I guess it depends on how "close" you want to be to your parts... You're fairly intimate already with your blaster so you probably don't need to be any closer haha.

I emailed Works asking how much it would be to adjust a pair of shocks to my weight and riding style and this was their response:

"Service and seals on a pair of Rezzy shocks usually runs $130
plus any parts we have to replace. Could easily run half the
price of a new pair ($699 standard shocks, adjustables somewhat
higher) if we use some used parts but that is more or less worst
case if many changes needed. Generally if they are setup for
something much different than what you want them for like a
average weight rider with stock arms and you are heavy and
+2 or long travel arms you should skip buying them.
The $80 is just for taking shocks apart, putting them back
together fresh oil and nitrogen plus $3 oil disposal, and add
about $42 for basic reservoir shocks for seals.
There can also be many issues with bad shafts or other misused
or mishandled parts on used shocks. It fairly easy for a
dummy to destroy any shocks on an ATV and pawn them off
on someone else, all he knows is the shocks are not working
right for him any more. There are honest and somewhat
knowledgeable sellers out there but a fair number of real losers.
Most motorcycle and ATV riders"

the guy that is selling these says that he got them on a used quad so he doesnt know what weight they are set up for. im not sure what to do, i found some for a good price on craigslist but if its that much to re-valve them that wouldnt be a good deal. any input?
Thanks

What is a "good price"? It's certainly a risk. I can tell you that a set of working works shocks (even set up way wrong for you) is better to ride on than factory shocks. Hell, broom sticks cut in place of factory shocks wouldn't be much worse....

If the shocks on CL are a good price, I'd jump on them and either resell them if they're setu way wrong for you or save up some more dough and have them rebuilt at a later time. Take a good hard look at them when you go to look at them. If they're beat up outside, they're probably beat up inside....

good deal is $175ish with shipping. dual rate with remote resis. they aren't close to me, but the guy would ship them, and the springs are in good condition from the pictures. I sent him a email to see if the banshee they were on had standard or extended a-arms, the approximate weight of the previous rider, and if they felt stiff or soft for him and his approximate weight. still waiting for his response on the questions.