Questions about upgrading from a 28mm to a 35 mm

BEASTER

May 2, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
I have recently bought a 35mm carb for the blaster and I was wondering how to upgrade the intake boot and the air box so that it will fit properly.

can we ask why you're going to a bigger carb ?
what other mods do you have that MAY require it ?

I have recently bought a 35mm carb for the blaster and I was wondering how to upgrade the intake boot and the air box so that it will fit properly.

So I ended up modding the current intake boot to fit the Flange of the new carb. Maybe It will have a good seal. I have a CFM air box already. I forgot that I had it but I don't have the rubber adapter on the end of it. Do you know where I can get one?

So I ended up modding the current intake boot to fit the Flange of the new carb. Maybe It will have a good seal. I have a CFM air box already. I forgot that I had it but I don't have the rubber adapter on the end of it. Do you know where I can get one?

watch for the intake boot to eventually crack.

pretty sure this is the size adapter I use on my CFM to 34mm, 2.5" - 2.25", should work up to 36mm..........
http://www.siliconeintakes.com/intake-pipe-reducer/pipe-reducer-p-6.html

get their clamps too = good stuff.

have you jetted this carb ?
it will require a needle change, unless ordered specifically jetted for a blaster ?

48-52 pilot, tune airscrew for highest idle, use the guide in the carb section
DGH or CEL needle, CEL for elevations under 1000', DGH for higher.
150 - 162 mains, < broad range to cover lower elevations and temps
start large and plug chop down.

Reactions: MURPH
watch for the intake boot to eventually crack.

pretty sure this is the size adapter I use on my CFM to 34mm, 2.5" - 2.25", should work up to 36mm..........
http://www.siliconeintakes.com/intake-pipe-reducer/pipe-reducer-p-6.html

get their clamps too = good stuff.

have you jetted this carb ?
it will require a needle change, unless ordered specifically jetted for a blaster ?

48-52 pilot, tune airscrew for highest idle, use the guide in the carb section
DGH or CEL needle, CEL for elevations under 1000', DGH for higher.
150 - 162 mains, < broad range to cover lower elevations and temps
start large and plug chop down.

Thank you so much for the info. I am not very versed in jetting a carb but your helping me out a great deal. I am not quite sure what the 48-52 pilot is that you mentioned. I don't see it in the parts breakdown.
http://www.jetsrus.com/carburetor/carb_keihin_PJ_carb_exploded_view_parts.html
I live in Tucson which is 2300 ft elevation so I am going to go with the DGH needle.

Your link you posted was for a PJ34, I thought you said it was a 35mm? The pilot jet is also called the slow jet in that link. Depending on the carb (I have a 35mm PWK air striker) you may have to cut the idle screw spring so that it can raise the slide properly. I know me and another member have had to cut our PWKs' idle screw springs because the spring bottomed out before it ever raised the slide.

You can get many different size jets but you have to order them separately. It will come with whatever is listed but it would be wise to get a few in the range that have been suggested. Make sure they are for the carb you get though. Different carbs take different jet

Your link you posted was for a PJ34, I thought you said it was a 35mm? The pilot jet is also called the slow jet in that link. Depending on the carb (I have a 35mm PWK air striker) you may have to cut the idle screw spring so that it can raise the slide properly. I know me and another member have had to cut our PWKs' idle screw springs because the spring bottomed out before it ever raised the slide.

You can get many different size jets but you have to order them separately. It will come with whatever is listed but it would be wise to get a few in the range that have been suggested. Make sure they are for the carb you get though. Different carbs take different jet

yeah, the guy told me it was a 35 but it doesn't say anything on the side accept PJ. there are a few stamped numbers but I don't know what they mean

yeah, the guy told me it was a 35 but it doesn't say anything on the side accept PJ. there are a few stamped numbers but I don't know what they mean
You can measure it to find out what size it is. They don't make a 35mm PJ. It's probably a 34mm but I would double check. You also might be able to call some place like jetsrus and tell them the numbers stamped on it and see if they know what size it is based off that.

You can measure it to find out what size it is. They don't make a 35mm PJ. It's probably a 34mm but I would double check. You also might be able to call some place like jetsrus and tell them the numbers stamped on it and see if they know what size it is based off that.

Yup, Its the 34 like I was thinking. The link I provided above is the same carb. I ordered some new jets and I have a bunch of main jets that fit. from 52 all the way up to 68. The only Main I don't have is the 62. I think I should be fine without it.

Main jets 52 to 62 would be to small. .you should get 152 to 162 as suggested[/QUO

Sorry, that is what I meant. So I bought a bunch of new parts for this carb including some jets so that I can plug chop and do it right. I stayed with the same slide because they are expensive and I want to see if I can just re jet and see how it works out. I tested out the throttle spring and it doesn't require any mods so all I'm doing now is waiting for the parts to come in.

One more question though. The fuel nipple on the carb is an 8mm and the petcock is a 6mm. should I get a new petcock?

Sorry, that is what I meant. So I bought a bunch of new parts for this carb including some jets so that I can plug chop and do it right. I stayed with the same slide because they are expensive and I want to see if I can just re jet and see how it works out. I tested out the throttle springand it doesn't require any mods so all I'm doing now is waiting for the parts to come in.
I ended up needing the new slide but I have the 35mm PWK so you might get it to work without. I also think the idle screw spring was just a PWK carb thing. I only mentioned it because I was confused by the post when you said it was a 35mm and if its a keihin 35mm then it would have been a PWK. But good to know its a PJ34