Plug chop pics

Conner Jones

Dec 16, 2018
So i did a plug chop with the stock 230 main jet, and then i did a plug,chop with the 250 main jet. When looking at the plugs, i thought the brown ring was supposed to be right on the bottom. But on both plugs, the color seems to be in the middle/upper area of the plug. How does my jetting look in both? I put a 240 main in for now, and have been driving it but its like it runs pretty good for the first 10 minutes and then after that it starts to cut out and bog down at full throttle.

Last edited:
0513201812.jpg
0513201812a.jpg

So i did a plug chop with the stock 230 main jet, and then i did a plug,chop with the 250 main jet. When looking at the plugs, i thought the brown ring was supposed to be right on the bottom. But on both plugs, the color seems to be in the middle/upper area of the plug. How does my jetting look in both? I put a 240 main in for now, and have been driving it but its like it runs pretty good for the first 10 minutes and then after that it starts to cut out and bog down at full throttle.
Are you doing tour plug chops with the engine fully warmed up to operating temp?then new plug and rip it. What mods are done? Did you do your tank of gas break in before the plug chops?

Are you doing tour plug chops with the engine fully warmed up to operating temp?then new plug and rip it. What mods are done? Did you do your tank of gas break in before the plug chops?
Yes engine was warmed up for at least 10 minutes of easy riding before doing the plug chop. The engine is already broken in with 3 heat cycles. And there are no mods besides are box lid removed, and tors and oil injection blocked off and its bored to 67.5 mm. Im not sure if those plugs looked good or if they were too rich or what... I dont have much experience with plug chops but from the videos ive watched, the spaek plug always had a black/brown ring at the very bottom, but mine seems to start a little further up the plug than theres. Maybe I'm overthinking it, I dont know.

Warm engine with old plug. Install new plug. FULL throttle 1-6, if you don’t have enough room, drag brake to add load in lower gears. STOP, kill engine, NO IDLING , remove new plug, install old.

I see no mention if using oil injection or premix ratio.
Presume carb clean, float set, air filter clean?
What plug are you using? Do you have a good blue spark? Not yellow?

Oil injection is blocked off with block off plate and carb hose is plugged. I did the plug chop exactly as you just described. I run 32:1 klotz benol. Floats set, carb clean, air filter clean. BR8ES. Good blue spark. How do those plugs look in your guys opinion. I want to know your thoughts

Well I finally found the info I was looking for.
If everything is stock, what led you to larger jetting?
IMO, the first pic looks fine.
From your description the 240 is to rich, fouling the plug

Well I finally found the info I was looking for.
If everything is stock, what led you to larger jetting?
IMO, the first pic looks fine.
From your description the 240 is to rich, fouling the plug
Okay, i will run the 230 then. Should I do a mid range plug chop, or is there another way to figure out the needle clip position. I have 30 pilot jet and it seems to be good. I adjust the mixture screw until the rpms are highest, at about 1.5 turns out, and then I go back in a quarter turn and set the idle screw.

Okay, i will run the 230 then. Should I do a mid range plug chop, or is there another way to figure out the needle clip position. I have 30 pilot jet and it seems to be good. I adjust the mixture screw until the rpms are highest, at about 1.5 turns out, and then I go back in a quarter turn and set the idle screw.
The stock pilot 32.5 works on most setups.needle clip in 3rd position .